The Research Software Engineer will be part of a research team advancing Ford Motor Company in next generation vehicle software compute platforms. This includes on-vehicle and cloud interfacing software. The position includes participating in leading-edge software projects with universities, suppliers and team members along with developing concepts for production implementation. Working in a creative and self-initiated environment to explore, develop and advance software and hardware for smart vehicles in a smart world. The focus of the team is developing software platforms that comply with industry standards creating a scalable and portable development environment
- Work in a team environment to develop and implement new technologies, standards, and or processes for vehicle software platforms both on-vehicle and interfacing with edge devices.
- Lead the advancements in areas such as hypervisors, hardware accelerators, virtualization, Adaptive and Classic AUTOSAR and other emerging concepts. Work with a team to transform the company in leading edge software development and deployment.
- Lead supplier collaborations to demonstrate and align next generation software practices, technologies and standards with vehicle cross-functional compute requirements.
- Develop software and hardware integration test environments, debug complex software, evaluate and test for production readiness.
Lead projects through Ford’s GTDS (Global Technology Development System) and or Discovery process and support the knowledge transfer to production teams.
- Investigate methods for creating software platform layers that support nimble software deployment to vehicle. Benchmark leaders in shadow software, edge computing, OTA (Over the Air) and emerging trends. Develop best practices and implement in project portfolio.
- Participate in technical workshops both within Ford and with suppliers to identify innovations that enable software development and compute architecture vehicle advancements.
- Lead and present projects and maintain Ford project tracking systems.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related degree.
- 5+ years’ experience in C and C++ development on a real-time embedded system.
- 2+ years’ experience with networking protocols such as (TCP, UDP, MQTT and similar protocols)
- Proven experience in resolving complex real-time software problems with strong skills in static and dynamic software validation tools.
- Proven experience with emerging hardware architectures and software standards. (multi-core, hypervisors, AUTOSAR, ISO26262, etc.)
- Proven ability to develop hardware demonstrations for research and production implementation.
- Proven experience in common scripting language such as Python, Perl or similar language
- Self-initiator and desire to develop research concepts and create quantifiable data to evaluate their production readiness.
- Proven experience in optimizing microcontroller architecture for software implementation.
- Proven ability to communication both written and verbal in working teams and in management presentations.
- Proven ability to work well with others as part of a diverse global team.
- Self-motivated and passion for leading-edge technologies.