As a Research Scientist in the Imaging group, you will work within a team of scientists and software developers on algorithm development and system characterization for computed tomography (CT) explosives detection systems. Research areas within our group include CT image formation, image quality, image analysis, and machine learning. Team members in the imaging group work on a wide range of projects aimed at supporting our current day products and also at investigating next generation technologies for the EDS market.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Using existing tools & software to devise and perform experiments pertaining to CT system design & analysis.
- Enhance existing software modules according to project requirements.
- Design, prototype, and test new algorithms in C++, Python, & Matlab.
- Complete project deliverables, shifting priorities as needed.
- Report results to multidisciplinary audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- Adapt and grow into new responsibilities over time.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters or greater in Applied Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Physics or related field.
- Minimum 2 years experience in software development using C or C++.
- Demonstrated ability in analysis, testing, and problem solving, preferably using software or modeling tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Able to present ideas and material clearly and concisely, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Technically flexible. Able to work on multiple simultaneous projects and learn new material quickly.
- This position requires a U.S. Personal Security Clearance. Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen. This position also requires Sensitive Security Information (SS) access and vetting via the TSA. Applicant must successfully pass a federal background investigation.
- Must submit your application for employment through the Smiths Detection website to be considered.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process.
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work out of an office in Newark, CA
- Experience with CUDA & GPU programming.
- Expertise with Matlab or similar prototyping language.
- Experience with Monte Carlo particle tracking software e.g. GEANT4, MCNP, Penelope, etc.
- Familiarity with common image processing toolkits and libraries e.g. Matlab, VTK, ITK, etc.
- Understanding of x-ray physics, CT image generation, fourier analysis, signal processing, stochastic processes, & image quality.
- Experience working with 3D data sets and 3D image processing.
- Scripting in Python, Perl, or other scriptinglanguage.
- Experience with Linux development tool chains.
- Experience working in/with governmental agencies.
- Proven experience working both with a team and independently.