We are currently looking for a dynamic individual as a Research Scientist for our Performance Products organization at our Advanced Technology Center located in The Woodlands, Texas.
Our team is part of the Global Technology & Innovation team which is tasked to develop new products for use in various polymer applications. We are looking for a chemist to help develop new products that can be used in the polyurethane and epoxy markets.
What will be expected from you?
- Synthesize new molecules and test new molecules used in our markets and contribute to the overall organization
- Must have the ability to develop new products in small scale reactors and then help develop the product for commercial scale production
- Specify and setup experimental laboratory equipment for performing organic synthesis work
- Design, agree, plan and independently carry out non-routine, innovative experimental programs and specify the timing and resource needs
- Independently seek information and find solutions to problems encountered during the execution of the experimental programs
- Communicate the outputs, conclusions and recommendations to the project stakeholders in order to provide a technical basis for strategic decisions
- Write technical reports in line with the report guidelines and secure peer review and line management approval prior to publication
- Maintain an advanced awareness of “state-of-the-art” organic chemistry in order to develop the organic synthesis competency further
- Enhance her/his area of research and technical expertise by maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of key scientific competitive developments in organic chemistry
- Apply organic synthesis to create ideas and to propose development programs for innovation in the fields of polymer science targeted at achieving competitive advantage, thereby contributing to strategic business development opportunities
- Act as the main researcher and project leader in several R&D projects, meeting project milestones and directing and reviewing supporting activities
- Keep abreast of relevant competitive IP literature in order to direct own research and to develop a strategically aligned intellectual property portfolio in the field of organic chemistry as applied to polymer science and write appropriate invention reports
- Must be an innovative and analytical thinker who is able to influence key individuals of all disciplines and levels inside and outside the organization in order to progress innovation
What are we looking for in the ideal candidate?
- Doctorate in Chemistry with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Requiredexperience in polymer modification for urethane foams
- Requiredexperience with raw materials going into urethane foams
- Experience with urethane catalyst is desired
- Organic chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Urethane chemistry
- Highly innovative and willing to take initiative to tackle complex technical challenges
- Able to apply good project management principles to their own work and the work of small project teams
- Good communication skills and fluency in English, otherlanguages are an asset
- Good IT skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coach others
- Job holder must be prepared to occasionally travel globally and work across international boundaries