Manus Bio is a next-generation industrial biotechnology company headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts that produces plant-based ingredients. We use a variety of patented and proprietary technologies for engineering microbes for the production of specialty chemicals, such as food ingredients, agricultural chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. We are seeking a motivated individual for a research scientist position that will specialize in natural products pathway elucidation. This person will be expected to tackle a variety of challenges as an integral part of Manus Bio’s R&D team.
Why work at Manus Bio:
Opportunity – For motivated, results-oriented team members, our growth creates opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
- Accountability – You are given the resources you need to succeed and the freedom to make it happen; in return, we hold each other accountable for our high expectations.
- Passion – We love what we do and enjoy working with others who feel the same way. We embrace the challenge and hard work that come with working on the cutting edge.
- Apply your knowledge of plant biochemistry, gene discovery, and/or structural biology to discover novel enzymes for recreating biosynthetic pathways to novel natural products (NP) and NP-like compounds
- Design, construct, and test performance of enzyme orthologs or variants across a number of assays
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary scientific team to implement experimental plans and achieve project goals
- Communicate results of experiments with colleagues
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology, or a related field
- Expertise in at least one of biochemistry, enzyme characterization, and assay development
- Proficiency in molecular biology skills, including primer design, cloning, and PCR
- Experience with gene discovery
- Experience with microbial fermentation
- Experience with analytical instrumentation (LC-MS, GC-MS/FID, HPLC)
- Experience with protein variant design and construction
Preferred Working Style:
- Must be very well-organized and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be a quick learner who is self-motivated and able to ask questions and seek clarity.
- Must be flexible with day-to-day duties and able to thrive in a start-up environment.
- Must be an excellent team member with strong communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively.
- Must hold him or herself to the highest professional, scientific and ethical standards.