Henry Ford Hospital is an 877-bed tertiary care hospital, education and research complex at the western edge of the New Center area in Detroit, Michigan. The flagship facility for the Henry Ford Health System, it was one of the first hospitals in the United States to use a standard fee schedule and favor private or semi-private rooms over large wards. It was the first hospital in the country to form a closed, salaried medical staff. As founder Henry Ford viewed tobacco as being unhealthy, the hospital was one of the first in the United States to institute a total ban on smoking. Henry Ford Hospital is staffed by the Henry Ford Medical Group, one of the nation's largest and oldest group practices with 1,200 physicians in more than 40 specialties. Henry Ford Hospital, which opened in 1915, is a Level 1 trauma center, recognized for clinical excellence and innovations in the fields of cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics, sports medicine, organ transplants, and treatment for prostate, breast, and lung cancers. Henry Ford Hospital annually trains more than 500 residents and 125 fellows in 46 accredited programs. Through its affiliation with Wayne State University, more than 400 medical students train at the hospital each academic year. The Detroit hospital and campus is led by president and CEO, Doctor of Medicine, John Popovich, Jr.