We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Are you ready to make a difference and create the Future of Automation?
We are looking for a motivated Research Scientist who would like to be part of a dynamic team in Berkeley, California.
Requisition Number: 222867
CT is seeking a member of its “Advanced Manufacturing Automation” Research Group of the vertical “Future of Automation” Technology Field in the Bay Area of San Francisco, California. In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the advanced manufacturing of the future; in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies. We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Machine Learning, Simulation, Engineering, Control, and Optimization. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
What are my responsibilities?
- Manage scientific projects including the definition and execution of the technology strategy
- Calculate/assess risk factors of a project. Anticipate potential problems and demonstrate sophisticated reasoning skills as well as creative, innovative and resourceful approaches to developing solutions to complex problems.
- Provide technical supervision to achieve project goals.
- Lead, and collaborate with others, both within and outside Siemens, to develop successful research proposals for external funding that align with Siemens strategic direction.
- Scout and evaluate new automation & control technologies in collaboration with leading academic institutions and government agencies, by working with Siemens Business Units.
- Seek advocacy from appropriate Siemens business units on potential use cases.
- Manage cutting-edge research projects with the best universities and professors in the US. Co-develop with top academic partners the Automation Systems of the Future.
- Educate and transfertechnologies to Siemens business units for product implementations.
- Assist in project acquisition and project funding
What skills are needed to qualify for the job?
- PhD required in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with minimum 4 years of related experience.
- Proven track record of preparing, managing and winning government proposals is a must.
- Prior experience in one or more of the following: automation, optimization, embedded systems, robotics, AI, machine learning.
- Experience in designing swarms of cyber-physical systems (CPS)
- Experience in cooperative and distributed control
- Proven experience analyzing, designing, executing, modifying, and implementing research projects
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations.
What skills/experience are preferred?
- Experience working with National Labs and/or Government Agencies.
- Hands-on coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in C++. Further experience in Scriptinglanguages such as Python is a plus.
Requisition Number: 222867