The Research Scientist III, under minimal supervision, will clone, express, modify and purify proteins as needed for the development of new genomics products at IDT. This position requires significant skill sets in protein purification, enzyme characterization and molecular biology.
- Protein purification using multiple chromatographic techniques on an AKTA pure or similar system
- Enzyme activity characterization of known or novel enzymes using industry standard approaches
- Creates novel methods for functional protein activity and quality control testing
- Data analysis and summary written reports and scientific presentations
- Transfers protein purification and characterization assays to production and QC groups
- Applies extensive scientific knowledge with broad laboratory skills to execute complex bench experiments using variety of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemical and general laboratory techniques as directed.
- Plans experimental details required for execution of assigned work, with little oversight.
- Analyzes raw data, reports results and plans the next steps.
- Organizes and manages moderately complex projects.
- Utilizes mathematical, graphical, imaging, nucleic acid analysis and other software aids as needed.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed records of experimental work.
- Prepares technical reports for internal use; creates protocols or manuals for public display or distribution.
- Assists in filing invention disclosures, writing patent applications and manuscripts for publication.
- Interacts with and assists other members of the R&D team as needed to meet research objectives.
- Oversees activities and assists with training of more junior research personnel as directed.
- Interacts frequently with otherinternal departments and IDT customers to assist with customer service/technical support and helps manage collaborative research projects as directed.
- Presents experimental results, data analysis or prior art evaluations at group meetings as directed.
- Participates in scientific collaborations for new technology/product development.
- Participates in the maintenance of laboratory cleanliness including but not limited to washing and storage of glass/plastic ware and autoclaving waste, organization of reagents and freezers, etc.
- Represents IDT at scientific conference and trade shows; prepares and presents data-oriented posters (involving domestic or international travel).
- Uses radioactive materials and autoradiography, on occasion, during the course of experimental work.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Licensure, Certification, Registration
- Bachelor’s degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with six or more years relevant lab experiencerequired
- Master’s degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with four or more years relevant lab experiencepreferred
- PhD degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with one or more years relevant lab experiencepreferred
Position Specific Professional Experience
- Biotech Industry based experience in enzyme isolation and purification required
- Experience with molecular biology enzymes characterizations (including but not limited to unit activity determinations, purity and contaminant removal) required
- Knowledge of industry standards for Quality Control testing of purified recombinant enzymes required
Other Professional Experience
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Previous experience with DNA analysis/genomics applications in NGS, qPCR or CRISPR required.
- Previous experience with public speaking preferred.
- Previous experience with publishing scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of IDT products and product linespreferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to train others in basic laboratory techniques and equipment operation.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and maintain several projects at one time.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management.