Job Description :
Perform as a Research Manager, reporting to the Senior Manager of Analytics and Exploitation (A&E) within the Technology Development (TD) Directorate of the Advanced Technology Center (ATC).
The successful candidate will have an enterprising spirit and the ability to forge enduring relationships with internal and external customers, to shape and capture new business while balancing management and technical responsibilities.
The Research Manager will be responsible for the successful staffing and execution of a broad analytics, data exploitation, and informatics based program portfolio.
The Research Manager is responsible for leading a group of approximately 10-20 experienced professional technologists, engineers, and scientists within this world-class organization in executing activities in support of the Space Systems Company, the Corporation, and external customers.
The Manager will work closely with SSC lines of business (LOBs), other ATC leaders, the Financial and Business Operations group, and the Business Development team to execute these activities.
The Research Manager oversees programs and ATC staffing requirements, plans personnel job assignments and rotations; identifies and opens requisitions, conducts personnel interviews, recommends hiring candidate selections; tracks employee training needs, completions, and personnel and career development; supports IRAD and contract R&D investment strategy and strategic development; and demonstrates Full Spectrum Leadership behaviors.
The candidate must be able to effectively communicate verbally, develop concise and professional technical presentation materials for peers, management, and customers.
The candidate is expected to have a record of successful proposal writing for competitively-awarded R&D funding and excel in developing and maintaining R&D customer intimacy.
The ideal candidate will have experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
It is expected that the Manager will devote about 40% of his/her time to functional management tasks, i.e. department and personnel management, while the other portion is devoted to direct technical work including, program support/management, technology development, and new business development.
Will be traveling 10% to domestic locations.
• Demonstrated expertise in suitable scientific/engineering discipline related to remote sensing, electromagnetic observables, cognitive learning/processing, probabilistic modeling, or target tracking.
• Candidate should have demonstrated the ability to lead a broad-based technical group and produce results by successfully prioritizing and balancing multiple assigned objectives and tasks.
• Candidate must have experience in pursuing and capturing new business from external government and non-government organizations
• Candidate should have the ability to collaborate with LOB/Program Managers and engineers to understand the needs and goals of LOB/programs and communicate those to ATC Management.
The successful Manager candidate will be aided by a subset of the following desired qualifications:
• Machine learning, human machine interfacing
• Neuromorphic computing
• Experience in advanced data analytics
• Tracking algorithm development
• Scientific, data, and information visualization; and data exploitation
• Electromagnetic observables phenomenology including experience with target signatures and multi and hyperspectral phenomenology
• In-depth understanding of radiometry
• Experience in remote sensing, atmospheric attenuation and propagation, scene modeling, technical intelligence concerns, background radiation including cloud physics and radiometry
• EOIR sensor system technical experience including performance modeling, system development, focal plane array physics, requirements generation, signal and image processing
• Mathematical modeling of physical systems
• Mission architecture analysis
• An established relationship with various Intelligence organizations and government agencies
An advanced degree is preferred along with experience in the following areas:
• Planning and executing programs
• Formulating, planning, and executing Independent Research and Development (IRAD) technology development projects and/or CRAD
Strong interpersonal, communication, administrative, and presentation skills and the ability to evaluate research and development personnel for performance reviews, promotions, and merits
Candidate should have demonstrated ability to interact productively and efficiently with engineers, scientists, customers, and management; and to foster a collaborative team environment.