Zimmer Biomet is a world leader in musculoskeletal health solutions. Our team members are part of a company with a heritage of leadership, a focus on shaping the future, and a mission dedicated to alleviating pain and improving the quality of life for people around the world.
This position provides advanced technical support toward the accomplishment of key projects.
The individual will be responsible for coordinating and executing research and testing projects characterizing the mechanical and/or tribological properties of materials and products, which will involve the application of advanced biomechanical and testing expertise in the development of new methodologies.
The individual is responsible to implement assigned projects in a timely and efficient manner and to report their results to the responsible manager and/or team.
The individual makes technically based decisions that are important to present and future new products.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all types of biomechanical testing (static, fatigue and/or tribology) of product performance, from formulating a protocol through documenting results, in order to address biomechanical needs.
- Provides technical assistance to other departments within Zimmer Biomet (Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory, etc.) for the maintenance of existing products.
- Designs and drives research projects. Presents the results internally, as well as within international conferences. Identifies opportunities to publish in peer reviewed journals.
- Is involved in improving the efficiency of internal procedures and both internal and external (standard) test methods.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties or functions and might not necessarily comprise all of the essential functions for purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Expected Areas of Competence
- Must possess an advanced knowledge of engineering, material science, biomechanics and/or tribology.
- Knowledge and experience in biomechanical testing (static, fatigue and/or tribology) and in using servo-hydraulic load frames or simulators.
- Knowledge of testing standards related to static, fatigue and/or tribology methodologies (ASTM and/or ISO).
- Familiarity with test method verification is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to methodically investigate and resolve problems.
- Ability to maintain and assess own progress on multiple assignments relative to project schedules.
- Possess knowledge of statistical methods.
- Good oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a cross-functional team.
- Publication track record is an asset.
- A Ph.D. or M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline required. Candidates possessing a bachelor’s degree with applicable prior work experience will also be considered.
- 5+ years’ medical device experience preferred, particularly in orthopedic industry
Up to 20%
At Zimmer Biomet, we believe in The Power of Us, which means that we are stronger together. We are committed to creating an environment where every team member feels included, respected, empowered, and celebrated.