- Designs, directs, executes, and supports clinical research protocols in conjunction with active duty investigators, research physicians, and other scientists including obtaining approval through the IDCRP, Local Command Research Office, Institutional Review Boards (IRB), and others.
- Plans, directs and/or assists with clinical research activities at the site including study visits. Works with the Site Manager, Site PIs, Lead Coordinators, and others to monitor and ensure successful protocol operations; ensures safety and regulatory compliance.
- Provides clinical care and treatment to patients during the course of their disease, and counsels patients regarding the effects of drugs or processes; this includes patients not in IDCRP studies (e.g. clinic or inpatient service) as well as those participating in protocols; meets requirements for and maintains active clinical credentials at BAMC.
- Participates in residency training program activities including rounds, conferences, medical personnel training programs, and others.
- Analyzes data and prepares scientific works for presentation at local and national meetings and for publication in medical and scientific periodicals.
- Produces and provides relevant program status reports to the department, institution, regulatory agencies, sponsors, program leadership, and others.
- Travels to and attends scientific, IDCRP, and other meetings as required.
- Maintains faculty appointment at USU; participates in IDCRP, departmental, and USU educational and service activities as appropriate.
- Performs other assignments as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of clinical medicine and the procedures and techniques necessary for performing research tasks; knowledge of medical science and the development of clinical research programs; experience in the design of clinical research trials; ability to communicate effectively; ability to make effective presentations and publish; excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: M.D. or D.O.
Minimum Experience: ID Fellowship training plus at least two years each of clinical research and HIV patient care.