Job Description Research Operations Manager:
Research at Adobe is focused on understanding the academic and industrial technology landscape and executing a research program to create exciting, innovative and business relevant opportunities for Adobe and its business solution teams. Adobe Research looks to identify technology gaps across Adobe’s entire portfolio of products and services and work with Product Management and Engineering to create prototype solutions that are of interest to the business. Research Operations Manager are the critical link between our researchers and the solutions they work with to make sure that agreements and expectations are closely managed and executed. Understanding our research portfolio and keeping it prioritized in the face of constant inflow of demands from various sources is a key challenge. Similarly, pursuing effective collaboration with partners, and other teams to ensure we have an integrated and coordinated view of research opportunities for Adobe is critical.
Research Operations Managers sit at the center of the engagement model mentioned above, and are key to our ability to keep research prioritized and engagement with engineering teams focused on execution and follow-through. Some key roles this position will play:
• Manage the strategy priorities for research organization, partner with research leadership team to define organization priority and coordinate the execution.
• Assist the leadership team in facilitating effective decision-making, determine the proper course of action and track progress
• Take a leadership role in articulating and driving plans around meta-level issues where solving once yields benefits across the landscape – issues like Technology Transfer, Problem Management, Internal Mini-Summits, standardization of processes and tools, etc
• Facility the collaboration between research teams and solution product teams, address roadblocks research teams encounter in their efforts to conduct research and transfer technology into products.
• Partner with other research program managers to understand the nature of the research gaps and coordinate engagements with teams outside of research.
• Act as a key communication point between research engineering teams and the research leadership team in a regular cadence to communicate gaps between plans and the actual ability to follow-through on those plans.
• Influence the pace/rate at which research is addressed by engineering teams
In short, this role requires the successful applicant to be an advocate for many people and teams to many people and teams. You sit at the intersection of many in-bound threads of work; this gives you a unified view of the “As Is” research landscape, and that allows you to understand what needs to be done, why it’s getting or not getting done, what help teams need to break through logjams, and which relationships are required to make it all happen.
Some additional job details.
You are a senior individual contributor who has:
• ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
• proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
• strong problem-solving skills
• excellent communication skills
• strong technical engineering background and skills, familiar with engineering process and software development lifecycle.
• the ability to engage with and influence people at all levels
• the ability to interface and coordinate with many teams simultaneously
• the ability to work effectively in fluid environments
• a strong interest in evaluating processes to see where changes can be made, coupled with a strong preference to do the lightest-weight changes possible (even if they add up to something big at the end)
• a demonstrated ability to work effectively with highly technical engineering teams, with a track record of helping them deliver against a backlog
• an interest in and understanding of industrial research issues (you stay current with what’s going on in the world)
• an interest in diving deeply (over time) into Adobe’s services, applications, and infrastructure to better partner with teams on the design and implementation of security asks
Minimum Requirements for Position
• BS or Advanced Degree in an engineering or other technical field (computer science, engineering.) – or equivalent (to be assessed by hiring manager and hiring committee)
• 10+ years of experience in an engineering or related field
• Experience on more technical platforms, with Cloud experience (Azure or AWS) strongly desired
• Experience on influencing engineering teams and driving them via their development cycle to deliver new research technology into products/solutions.