Not Specified years
Posted 123 days ago
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Design, execute, and record laboratory experiments; apply standard scientific protocols to experiments, research, and improve current methods and evaluate innovative techniques.
2. Draft, write, and edit scientific reports, papers, journal articles, and abstracts.
3. Design and perform experiments and record data according to research protocol. Independently reproduce, evaluate, research, and improve techniques currently used. Adapt new methods to existing procedures and modify current experiments through scientific knowledge and intuition. Maintain accurate and detailed records of all laboratory work and experiments.
4. Develop, set-up, and verify new procedures in the laboratory. Standardize and establish new published procedures; evaluate innovative techniques. Develop new assays and new protocols; design formats.
5. Discuss relevant insights about experimental results with Faculty and provide useful recommendations and analysis.
6. Maintain an integral role in the laboratory's meetings, presentations, and publications. Present information on research and laboratory work to others at laboratory meetings, journal clubs, and seminars.
7. Troubleshoot and correct erroneous results or problems with laboratory equipment. Maintain and repair equipment; monitor proper use by personnel.
8. Maintain optimal protocol and assay accuracy by conducting regular quality and reproducibility checks.
9. Assist in preparing, writing, and maintaining fiscal budget. Monitor expenditures and prepare capital expenditure requests; track funding, maintain accurate balance, and resolve any discrepancies.
10. Follow policies and procedures governing the handling of confidential information as defined by Cincinnati Children's mission and applicable laws and regulations. Ensure timeliness, accuracy, availability, and security of information.
11. Perform routine procedures, including the collection and analysis of research data, which may affect decisions regarding future patient care.
12. Provide services in a manner to be regularly and conveniently available to meet the needs of Cincinnati Children's research initiatives as determined by department management and Cincinnati Children's governing body.
13. Maintain currency in field through continuing education, literature and seminars. Implement this knowledge into the Department.
14. Recommend approaches for improvement activities, recommend and perform new processes, collect and measure data, develop processes based on performance, and communicate results.
15. Ensure that work areas are organized and present a safe, accessible, effective and efficient environment. Manage attendance at required Cincinnati Children's training sessions, including radiation safety, laboratory safety, bloodborne pathogens, and OSHA. Comply with Infection Control policies and procedures.
16. Participate in establishing job requirements and goals; perform duties at the desired level of competency.
17. Understand, adhere to, and model Core Standards as defined organizationally and specifically within the department/unit.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/ WORK EXPERIENCE:Ph.D. in related discipline, MD, or equivalent required.
Candidates with publications reflecting expertise in epigenetics and bioinformatics analyses are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrate attention to detail, strong organizational skills, supervisory ability, and an innovative approach to experimental design. Computer literate and working knowledge of software applications (word processing, spreadsheet, and database). Analytical ability sufficient to compare data; mathematical ability sufficient to perform algebraic calculations and statistical analysis. Ability to synthesize information and to create and deal with new situations by applying past experiences. Expressed willingness to teach others and share results. Capable of meeting time demands necessary to execute experiments.