Qorvo, Inc. is looking for a highly motivated and innovative Research Engineer for research and development (R&D) activities on advanced wafer- and chip-scale integration of multiple semiconductor technologies for RF applications. This position will require engagement with various internal and external technologists, customers and vendors to understand emerging technology needs and trends. The engineer will formulate novel solutions to fulfil those needs, generate intellectual property, contribute to research proposals, design and execute experiments, and present conclusions. A significant amount of time in this position will be spent in Qorvo’s state-of-the-art clean rooms and R&D labs conducting hands-on experimental work using sophisticated tools.
This position requires an individual driven to shape new technologies by being a catalyst for inventions with do-it-yourself attitude in an environment that offers outstanding opportunities for the transition of novel ideas into real products. The successful candidate must be a self-starter, able to work independently in both a laboratory and manufacturing setting. The applicant must possess excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Work in the Research group to develop new technical concepts and processes for the integration of similar and dissimilar semiconductor device technologies for RF applications to address Qorvo’s business needs. Such needs could mean relatively short-term development projects of 1-3 years or long-term projects impacting Qorvo’s businesses in 3-5 years.
- Generate and develop technical ideas, make R&D proposals to seek funding as opportunities arise.
- Develop advanced semiconductor 2.5D and 3D integration concepts and processes for active and passive RF components. Device technologies include materials such as GaAs, GaN, Si, SiGe, SiC, Diamond, piezoelectric and magnetic materials, etc. Integration processes include advanced micro-bumps, thru-substrate-via, wafer- and chip-scale bonding/packaging, or any relevant concepts.
- As this is an R&D position, it is critical to envision upcoming technological needs and proactively prepare early prototypes that demonstrate the capabilities of the new technology.
- Generate intellectual property in the form of patents and trade secrets with the novel ideas, techniques and processes.
- Act as the Principal Investigator or as a team member of internally- or externally-funded research projects.
- Work with fellow process and design engineers, program managers, and external customers to meet the customer’s needs.
- Develop processes for device integration and packaging with the end goal of transferring successful processes into production. Track projects and meet all required documentation deliverables following company procedures and standard practices.
- Write reports and make presentations within the team, to customers and to management as needed.
- Promote Qorvo’s technical achievements through publications in journals and conference presentations.
- Business travel to customers/vendors sites or technical conferences will occasionally be required.
- Lifting and/or moving of the tools and standing in the lab will sometimes be required.
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, material science, physics or related field.
- 0-3 years experience including post-doc and research
- Only US citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders).
- Must be driven to take on the challenges of developing new semiconductor technologies.
- Must be a self-starter and able to make technical decisions in a research environment.
- Hands-on experience in semiconductor device integration, packaging and characterization.
- Deep understanding of semiconductor fabrication processes.
- Understanding of statistical process control (SPC) and design of experiments (DOE).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in wafer- and/or chip-scale bonding/packaging for 2.5/3D integration is strongly preferred.
- Experience with mechanical design tools and/or integrated circuit layout tools is strongly desired.
- Experience in GaAs and GaN devices/modules for RF applications is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of mechanical, thermal or electrical testing of semiconductor devices is a strong plus.
- Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Experience in sample characterization using FIB/SEM/IR/X-Ray is a plus.
- Knowledge of RF device design and simulation using tools such as ADS, AWR is a plus.
- Familiarity with test automation software programs such as LabVIEW is a plus.
- Familiarity with data analysis tools such as Spotfire, Minitab, Excel, etc. is a plus.