IDC is seeking a Research Director with experience in IT datacenter technologies and services to join its Cloud to Edge Datacenter Trends research practice. This role is responsible for researching, writing, and advising clients about trends and dynamics in the datacenter. This includes analysis of datacenter infrastructure and hardware designs, the impact of edge computing trends on data center requirements, green data centers, sustainable power and cooling initiatives, alternative energy sources, and datacenter infrastructure management (DCIM). The Research Director must have a solid understanding of current datacenter trends and strategies and the ability to provide insight and thought leadership to key industry participants
- Provide thought provoking insight and analysis to the IT infrastructure vendors, datacenter and colocation providers, cloud service providers, and datacenter services firms.
- Create and publish datacenter research and custom consulting projects.
- Perform data modeling and forecast creation, customer management, and business development projects to meet and exceed the specific needs of the external customers.
- Provide customer inquiry support as the subject matter expert on datacenter trends.
- Establish credibility as point of contact for client inquiries and internal/external sales and end-customer presentations.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree a plus.
- 8-10+ years of data center industry and/or analyst experience including extensive knowledge of facilities infrastructure.
- Strong quantitative, verbal and written communication with demonstrated ability for in-person and web-based presentations to medium and large size audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and execute a research plan, and manage the day-to-day activities of running a research program.
- Demonstrated performance history of high proficiency working with and delivering quantitative datasets and written deliverables.
- Self-starter requiring minimal direct oversight with strong time management skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills, able to professionally insert herself/himself into projects in a positive and additive manner.
- Ability to work effectively with global account management teams to assist sales and analyst relations stakeholders within clients to promote consistent customer service.
- A positive, entrepreneurial attitude with the ability to bring vision, creativity, and strategic thinking to the design and management of research projects while working under pressure and with competing deadlines.