Research Director, Business Intelligence and Analytics, Flexible NA location, Gartner Research - (00016774)
The successful candidate will define and conduct ongoing research and analysis across multiple data analytics and technology focus areas – especially the new cloud-based provider’s tools. Qualified candidates will have inside architectural and hands-on implementation experience in most of these areas: streaming ingestion and analytics, business intelligence tools evaluation and selection, machine learning, predictive and prescriptive analytics, self-service analytics, data transformation and modelling, Big Data appliances and architecture; Top candidates will bring strong development and scripting skills and familiarity with Internet of Things.
Qualified candidates will also be able to apply end-to-end systems thinking using:
* Advanced analytics, machine learning and self-service
* Business Intelligence tools and their APIs
* Real-time data analytics and algorithms, streaming analytics and data ingestion
* Data visualization
* Big Datadistributions and architecture
* Data Warehouse and data storage
* Cloud computing services for all of the above
* Data transformation and modelling
* Data governance
The candidate should be familiar with products that ingest, transform, and perform analytics on data including:
* Microsoft PowerBI, AWS QuickSight, Tableau, IBM Watson, Qlik, and others
* Cloud-based streaming analytics and data management (AWS Kinesis, Azure Stream Processing, AWS Lambda, IBM Watson Streams)
* Cloud-based data warehouses including IBM Netezza, AWS Redshift, Azure DW
* Big Data implementations and distributors including: HortonWorks, Cloudera, IBM, MapR, Pivotal
* Teradata, Oracle, SAP, and other ingestion and transformation tools from major providers
The candidate should also be able to provide secondary coverage of:
* Internet of things
* Leading database management and data warehousing tools (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Teradata, Pivotal, etc)
* Big Data integrated systems
The research methodology includes networking with clients, vendors and analysts; researching, evaluating and analyzing information; and participating in Research Meetings and other activities which comprise the Gartner research process. The candidate will actively contribute to Gartner’s research positions and catalyze technology adoption and enhancements which advance the information technology discipline.
Job responsibilities include creating in-depth research reports (averaging 25 pages in length), answering telephone and email inquiries from clients, serving as subject matter expert on sales opportunities, creating and delivering presentations at Gartner conferences, collaborating on the Data Management Strategies and cross-research group agendas, and providing individualized consulting for clients.
* 10+ years experience working within analytics and data management architecture
* Bachelor's degree in related field; Masters or PhD desirable
* Significant experience with real-time, self-service, advanced analytics.
* Experience with cloud-based analytics data management systems required
* Experience with application development and scriptingrequired
* Experience with Internet of Things and network protocols a strong plus
* Significant applicable experience to be knowledgeable about the business intelligence and analytics to be accepted by clients as an expert or "guru". The IT knowledge needed typically entails an in-depth understanding of the technology as well as the industry and the market of IT solutions, vendors, products and user strategies in analytics and data management.
* Experience building/managing products for a vendor or running a technology department for an end-user or as a consultant with in depth knowledge of analytics and data management.
* Strong communicator who is able to explain complex concepts both concisely and simply
* Credibility to represent Gartner research methodology and strategies effectively at a senior level
* Other key desirable qualities include being collaborative, creative, and willing to learn
* 20-25% travel is expected