RTI International develops innovative process technologies in the areas of gas separations, water decontamination, syngas processing, catalysis, CO2 capture and utilization, natural gas, industrial water, and biomass conversion for industrial and government clients. Our research supports national and worldwide goals of reliable, sustainable, economically viable, and secure energy supplies.
Our Center for Energy, Environment, and Engineering at RTI International is looking to add a talented Research Chemical Engineer to a dynamic team developing novel and innovative processes for carbon capture and conversion applications.
In this role you will become part of an experienced team of Research Engineers and Research Chemists to support the development and advancement of several existing carbon capture and utilization technologies. The technology areas currently include lab- and bench- scale CO2 capture, lab- and bench-scale CO2 conversion, solvent process optimization, sorbent process design, membrane design for gas separations, and catalytic processes, both heterogeneous and homogeneous.
You will be involved in and expected to contribute to:
- The development of innovative solutions to carbon capture, gas separations, and CO2 Utilization
- The development of process configurations for CO2 separations
- The detailed technical and economic assessment of the process
- Identification of emerging areas in the CCU community
- Integration of existing portfolio technologies with 45Q policies
Our R&D efforts typically span different scales of technology development ranging from concept through to bench and prototype-scale development, and in some cases pre-commercial demonstration, and therefore, you must be confident in contributing at various scales.
In addition, you must be familiar with and be able to contribute to topic areas outside of CO2 capture, such as development of catalytic processes for synthesis of fuels and chemicals, and other gas separations and processing.
In addition, you must be able to effectively communicate complicated concepts and data in a clear and concise manner both orally and written, and capable of formulating and executing research and test plans. A commitment to excellence and safety is essential.
- Assist project management by leading project tasks
- On specific tasks, guide laboratory-based development and evaluation efforts by developing, formulating and implementing test plans, analyzing and interpreting data, leading engineers on testing and writing reports
- Contribute to the design and management of laboratory- to pilot scale systems
- Be a key member of the commissioning and troubleshooting teams of laboratory- to pilot scale systems
- Will assist with and potentially lead techno-economic assessments of the conceptual process incorporating laboratory data and
- Work and interact effectively with a variety of staff (i.e. engineers/chemists responsible for technology development; technicians responsible for systems operations and support; and business managers responsible for technology demonstration)
- Interact with collaborators and clients and to write/contribute to proposals and reports.
- Develop and lead internal research and development projects
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering or relevant engineering discipline with related experience
- 5 or more years of relevant hands-on lab/pilot experience in an applied research at the graduate academic level or in an industrial setting
- Demonstrated ability to lead selected projects and / or project tasks
- Demonstrated ability to influence funding agencies and clients on research programs of mutual interest
- Demonstrated experience with process design and gas handling
- Demonstrated background in Chemical engineering fundamentals including heat and mass transfer, reaction engineering, fluidized-bed processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of catalyst/sorbent materials characterization and/or testing techniques would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience with analytical equipment operation and development/implementation of data acquisition and process control programs
- Demonstrated experience using modeling software including CFD, process simulations (AspenPlus, Promax, etc.) would be an asset.
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills and be able to perform high quality, independent work in a timely manner with minimum supervision
- Strong oral and written communication skills, well-developed interpersonal skills and team orientation