Less than 5 years
Posted 265 days ago
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct Research: Design, execute and record laboratory experiments; apply standard scientific/research protocols to experiments, research and improve current methods and evaluate innovative techniques. Design and perform experiments and record data according to research protocol. Independently reproduce, evaluate, research and improve techniques currently used. Adapt new methods to existing procedures and modify current experiments through scientific knowledge and intuition. Maintain accurate and detailed records of all laboratory work and experiments.
Develop, set-up and verify new procedures in the laboratory. Standardize and establish new published procedures; evaluate innovative techniques. Develop new assays and new protocols; design formats. Discuss relevant insights about experimental results with Director and provide useful recommendations and analysis. Troubleshoot and correct erroneous results or problems with laboratory equipment. Maintain and repair equipment; monitor proper use by personnel. Maintain optimal protocol and assay accuracy by conducting regular quality and reproducibility checks. Demonstrate performance at work, consistency in carrying out instructions, accuracy & attention to detail, achieving expected results & continuous improvement.
• Publish: Draft, write and edit scientific reports, papers, journal articles and abstracts. Present at local, national and international scientific meetings.
• Teamwork: Train and supervise the work of other laboratory personnel as appropriate. Maintain an integral role in the laboratory's meetings, presentations and publications. Present information on research and laboratory work to others at laboratory meetings, journal clubs and seminars. Demonstrate attendance and punctuality, ability to work independently & display initiative and dedication
• Financial Management: Assist in preparing, writing and maintaining fiscal budget. Monitor expenditures and prepare capital expenditure requests. Prepare, approve and initiate check requests; track funding, maintain accurate balance and resolve any discrepancies.
• Leadership: May act as a mentor to more junior staff, serve as the contact for resolution of complex issues, provide education, guidance and work direction. May provide input and feedback to managers on hiring decisions, professional development and performance management.
• Ph.D., M.D or equivalent degree in related discipline.
• 3 years of related postdoctoral experience
Experience in cellular immunology, flow cytometry, and molecular biology is required.
REQUIRED SKILLS: Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrate attention to detail, strong organizational skills, supervisory ability and an innovative approach to experimental design. Computer literate and working knowledge of software applications (word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database software). Analytical ability sufficient to compare data; mathematical ability sufficient to perform algebraic calculations and statistical analyses. Ability to synthesize information and to create and deal with new situations by applying past experiences. Expressed willingness to teach others and share results. Capable of meeting time demands necessary to execute experiments. Ability to express results in the form of oral and written presentations suitable for submission to the peer-reviewed literature. Careful bookkeeping skills. Expertise in technical execution and precision measurements. Presentation of experimental results in a form suitable for extramural funding applications.
Job Number: 96950