Research Assistant III
5 - 7 years experience • Biotech/Pharma
Tracking Code 6965Job Description
The Laboratory of Dr. Cathleen Lutz is seeking a highly organized and skilled Research Assistant III. The position will involve performing general laboratory routine procedures such as laboratory maintenance, genotyping, molecular biology and biochemistry (e.g. PCR, western and southern blotting, RNA analyses). Other duties may include advanced phenotyping upon training, such as metabolic cages, electrophysiology recorders, etc.
The RA III may have direct supervisory responsibilities and is accountable to insure the effective training and development program for assigned personnel and to identify and develop staff. The RAIII is responsible to develop training and development programs to strengthen technical and management skills. This position is also responsible for managing laboratory resources, which may include budget and personnel as well as establishing priorities in the use of resources including space, equipment and/or facilities.
The Lutz Lab focuses on the development and characterization of mouse models for human diseases, with an emphasis on optimal use and best practices for research and preclinical drug development. The laboratory works with the NIH, disease foundations and the pharmaceutical industry to improve on existing mouse models and generate new ones, identify modifier genes, and develop assays that facilitate therapeutic development
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocol; identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
- Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, and uploads data to database system within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
- Validate and conduct studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager. Ensure functionality and maintenance of instrumentation.
- Supervise and train current staff in best practices and technical skills.
- Oversee the use of resources including space, equipment and/or facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or other Life Sciences preferred.
- Advanced experience in mouse husbandry.
- Previous lab experience 6+ years
- Knowledge of computer software applications encountered in a normal laboratory setting.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Ability to work on an irregular schedule (evenings or week-ends) based on experiments requirements.
- The ability to work in a demanding, fast paced, team-oriented environment, while maintaining a high-level of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence the behavior of subordinates and teammates - previous training or supervisory experience preferred