Research and Development Manager
We are conducting a national search for senior level Research & Development Manager to lead a key development team for our large, global client. This opportunity is located at our large R&D Center in Chennai, India. This senior level position requires 12 – 20 years of senior level experience, with at least 5 at the manager/director level, leading a diverse team of research scientists and engineers. Our R&D Center is a State-of-the- Art center, offering outstanding facilities and a highly collaborative working environment. Compensation is highly attractive and includes full relocation. Preference will be given to people of Indian origin interested in returning to India.
Our client is seeking a senior level manager with experience in the areas of building materials or related products and include areas of new product and process development in:
2. Coatings - organic and inorganic
5. Specialized coated fabrics
7. Construction materials
8. Specialty polymer products development
The preferred candidate will have experience that includes R&D employment in a US or European company, with a focus on new product and new process development.
Position Responsibilities include:
1. Direction of development teams, both directly reporting and through matrix reporting
2. Provide technical guidance and scientific leadership to the research team members
3. Reporting to the Center Director, develop and manage R&D budget, goals setting and administration. Provide technical guidance through interaction and discussions with other scientists/managers globally.
4. Motivate and direct a team of engineers and scientists, nurturing and challenging the best, and providing guidance to those requiring further development, by investing time in coaching and mentoring.
Education requirements include degrees in:
· Chemical Engineering
· Mechanical Engineering
· Materials Science
· Polymer Engineering
An advanced degree is preferred, with PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant field.
Industrial Research Experience:
· PhD level - 10 - 20 years
· BS/MS level -15 - 20+ years
Knowledge, Experience and Competencies include:
· Strong management/supervisory experience of R&D teams with multiple scientific disciplines.
· Product development experience - from concept through commercialization
· Hands-on materials processing
· Some process modeling and simulation experience, but hands on processing is an absolute requirement.
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Experience in materials coating on various substrates including metals, glass.
· Understanding how to effectively function in a cross-functional environment with other areas including manufacturing, process engineering, marketing, sales and R&D
· Demonstrated record of new product or process innovations, including patents
· Very results oriented and customer focused
· Strong initiative and decisive risk taker
· Highly innovative and technically creative thinker
· Strong team leadership skills, along with solid record of accomplishments in developing team members
· Must possess excellent communication and listening skills
· Solid experience in promoting intercultural cooperation with the center and throughout the company, world-wide