JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
We are seeking a Research and Development Engineer to join our Communications Information and Navigation Office (CINO) in the Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) at Penn State University. This position will be located in Reston, VA and requiring frequent travel to San Diego, California (50%).
CINO’s focus is on information dominance and research topics include modeling and simulation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and DevSecOps. Our mission is to “provide the cutting edge technology development, analysis, tools, and other capabilities that effectuate many capabilities including DevSecOps automation, C5ISR-T capability.”
Typically requires a Master's degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline plus 10 years' related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Develop Navy models for Cyber and C4ISR-T capabilities
- Develop program management plans and program documents that satisfy stakeholder requirements and expectations; monitor and control program cost, schedule, performance, change control, and risk (technical, cost, schedule)
- Recommend Technology and Research Areas based on current Operations Design and Execution within the Intelligence Community
- Understand broad strategic objectives and contribute to them, nurture and maintain relationships with Navy sponsors.
- Travel per mission needs as required
- Identify grant/project follow-on work and persuade Cyber and C5ISR-T and sensitive activities customers/grantors to fund; impact those customers' decisions and strategies. Make major contributions to Counter WMD and sensitive activities project proposals, plans and project execution. Have solid relationships with external Counter WMD and sensitive activities network.
- Provide technical leadership within the office for C4ISR-T and sensitive activities programs. Develop and present project status reports for various audiences as necessary, including audiences outside the office.
- Manage multiple or large projects; plan, schedule, conduct, or coordinate detailed phases of the work of a major project or in a total project of moderate steps
- Make substantial contributions to determining feasibility of goals/objectives; may evaluate proposed or ongoing projects
- Create opportunities to enhance technical methodology or content through expansion of existing or development of new efforts; may extend technology into new application areas; contribute or lead in intellectual development activities
- Provide innovative problem-solving approaches to enhance organizational capabilities; use peer network to expand technical capabilities and identify new research opportunities
- Understand broad strategic objectives and contribute to them; nurtures and maintain relationships with major customers/grantors of external research and development grant funding
- Possess an active DoD TS/SCI clearance
- Experience with Navy Cyber and C4I
- Established relationships working with the Navy
- Extensive knowledge and experience with National and Defense strategies, policy and authorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and prior experience successfully leading multi-agency teams.
- Experience in software and systems engineering, program management, algorithm and analytic development and technology demonstration and experimentation.
- Program management experience in support of providing high quality solutions to a variety of sponsors, with an emphasis on operationalizing research concepts at scale.