The Release Train Engineer is responsible for program execution at program or product level by driving continuous improvement. They managerisks, escalate impediments and foster learning environment and facilitate program events like PI planning, Inspect & Adapt and Scrum of Scrums.
The RTE facilitates and coaches at program and team levels by helping teams to develop and deliver at regular cadence. They also serve as the chief scrum master of the Agile Release Train and facilitate Scrum of Scrums and Product Owner Sync at regular cadence.
- Aggregates team objectives into Program PI Objectives and publishes for visibility and transparency
- Assists with economic decision-making through estimation by teams and rollup to program level visibility
- Assists with program execution and PI feature completion tracking
- Establish proper metrics at team and program level
- Constantly inspect the process, discover and address the major concerns
- Drives program-level continuous improvement via retrospectives, Inspect and Adapt workshops, and constant demonstration of Better Every Day
- Encourages team and program level Quality Practices and Communities of Practice around Agile, Scrum, and Agile program management
- Escalates impediments
- Establishes the annual calendars for Sprints, Program Increments, and other agile ceremonies
- Facilitates PI planning events
- Facilitates PI planning readiness
- Facilitates PO Sync and Scrum of Scrums
- Maintains proper communication with all the technical and non-technical teams involved
- Participates in enterprise program management improvement and standardization activities
- Reports status to Release Management
- Work with execution team and tracking team to record risks, reports and metrics
- Working with other technical teams for resolution
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 6+ years of experience in a complex project and program management roles with at least with 3+years leading Scrum teams.
- Experience as a Scrum Master for at least 3 years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- Experience Functioning in the Release Train Engineer role or similar coaching role for at least 2 years for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, in an Agile environment that scales up to a program or portfolio level
- Servant leader and strong communicator with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to persuade by influence rather than authority
- Strong technical aptitude and experience leading teams in delivering quality software
- Deep understanding of Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework, or other scaling model
- Customer Service
- Building Relationships
- Business Knowledge / Organizational Acumen
- Self-Motivation/Self Starter
- Leading Self and Others