Leads integrated team in strengthening the company’s overall relationship with key decision makers and/or gatekeepers at client institutions. Quarterbacks all aspects of strategic internal and external alliances including senior management and consultant contacts, strategic business planning and service reviews, plan economic reviews, revenue sharing arrangements and investment menu architecture and performance discussions. Is the primary strategic contact for some of TIAA’s mid-sized institutions, as well as some large institutions in the Key Market – Western NY. Participation on key initiatives and task forces across the company. Discerns, develops and drives client strategy for meeting goals.
- Demonstrated relationship management skills at an experienced level. Track record of developing business through these relationships. Expert conflict resolution skills.
- Expert application of all phases of the sales cycle, including the ability to close the sale.
- Possesses the knowledge and gravitas to function as a spokesperson for TIAA at industry events
- Expert written and oral presentations skills; ability to create executive summaries.
- Well-developed leadership skills, including the ability to increase organizational capability through coaching and mentoring of more junior Relationship Managers.
- Ability to exert influence on corporate wide initiatives. May function as the lead for the Institutional Retirement business on corporate initiatives.
- Developed ability to think and act strategically with goal based outcomes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Fully responsible and accountable for all account management activities.
- Experienced sales and relationship management professional with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Level of assignment and complexity in book of business within Territory will depend on level of candidate experience.
- Evaluates and implements new initiatives process/workflow improvements and program/policy changes.
- The role is crucial to ensure that all initiatives are executed effectively and efficiently.
- Assignments require considerable judgment, analysis and initiative in order to resolve problems and make recommendations.
- Generates and implements creative or unique solutions to solve problems.
- Balances multiple demands and competing priorities.
- Uncovers opportunities for the development of new products/services.
- Typically assigned to maintain and enhance relationships with the decision makers at the plan sponsors.
- Frequent independent interaction with Executive level Management team members.
- Represents TIAA advocates & representatives to outside groups and associations.
- Requires expert conflict resolution skills to maintain strong relationships.
- Works independently and provides leadership to integrated team.
- 7 years of Institutional Retirement client relationship management experience, institutional retirement plan consultative sales, and / or retirement plan consulting experience.
- Proven track record of achieving sales results.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining executive/key influencer/buyer relationships at client institutions.
- Technical expertise of financial products/services and the features/benefits of TIAA (or like) products and services.
- Demonstrated experience as a mentor for other Institutional sales/relationship management staff.
- Complete understanding of IRA, 403(b), 401(a)/(k), 457(b) and (f) defined contribution plan technical rules, including nondiscrimination rules and ERISA requirements, with an advanced understanding of retirement plan design for our institutions. Able to assist client’s outside counsel and/or legal counsel on plan design as applicable. Knowledge of defined benefit plans as they relate to TIAA’s business.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to prepare executive summaries using Microsoft’s PowerPoint, Excel and Word applications.
- Ability to perform ~ 25-35% travel.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s in Business or Finance preferred.
- Requires FINRA Series 6 (or 7) and 63 registrations.
- Requires resident state insurance license, and non-resident licenses for all states in which the Relationship Manager will sell insurance products within six months of assuming position.
- May be appointed as an agent by TIAA and T-C Life.
- Must comply with all regulatory requirements and remain in good standing with regulatory agencies.
- May attain additional industry certifications and designations (CEBS, etc.)