This highly visible position is responsible for Toxicology support for multiple Business Segments and is responsible for planning and monitoring toxicology testing programs, conducting product safety assessments, and supporting product regulatory compliance globally.
- Plan, execute, and monitor both mammalian and environmental toxicology studies including budget, timing, and compliance deadlines.
- Formulate testing strategies and work plans, review study protocols, monitor studies, interpret testing results, and utilize results in product safety assessments.
- Serve as a Momentive expert in EU REACH registration toxicology, hazard assessment, and risk assessment activities.
- Ensure that testing meets all international & domestic test requirements according to ISO, GLP, EU REACH, US EPA/FDA, Japan guidelines, and potentially other world areas.
- Represent Momentive in silicone and chemical industry association and REACH consortia technical groups.
- Interpret regulatory requirements and leads discussions with the Businesses and Technology to formulate product testing strategies for new and existing products. Must be able to effectively communicate complex information to a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Actively leads, participates, and supports Product and Application Risk Reviews to inform the Businesses and implements Product Stewardship standards to comply with Responsible Care and company requirements.
- Partner with global customers, suppliers, Businesses, and other functions to develop and communicate product regulatory and compliance solutions; provide training and education; and answer customer inquiries.
- Support new substance notification, registration, and related activities by working closely with global Product Stewards and Leaders. Includes preparing documentation for product registrations and reporting for regulatory agencies in various world areas, monitoring, and providing status reports on relevant testing.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory changes in various world regions, contribute to advocacy efforts, initiate necessary communications and actions related to changing global chemical regulations, and implement solutions to address these changes.
- Responsible for human health and environmental exposure assessment and development of exposure scenarios for Momentive production sites and downstream users in support of REACH.
- Maintain and compile toxicology related registration information in the relevant registration IT tools, e.g. IUCLID, and internal data repositories.
- Establish, manage, and report metrics for work and tie into global reporting to assure progress and accomplishment of work are communicated.
- Completion of toxicology strategy and related tasks in support of product registration/notification, business growth, compliance and consortia activities within deadlines and interim milestones.
- Advise on human health and environmental risks as part of Risk Reviews.
- Development and implementation of streamlined processes and operating procedures to ensure compliance, timely response, and appropriate documentation.
- Timely and accurate responses to customer inquiries, leveraging standard templates and responses, and maintaining necessary data.
- Monitor changes in relevant regulations, and provide proactive communication and strategic guidance to global team members, Businesses, Technology, and other functions
- Ph.D. in Toxicology or Environmental Toxicology.
- 5 or more years of relevant toxicology experience with a minimum of 3 years chemical industry experience.
- Emphasis is placed on a broad background in both mammalian and environmental toxicology, but a candidate with strong skills in one area would be considered.
- Basic chemistry skills related to product chemistry.
- Able to provide regulatory advice to the businesses. The ideal candidate has expertise in US and EU chemical product safety regulations such as TSCA, REACH, etc.
- Expertise in GHS classification of chemicals and products for safety data sheets (SDS) and labeling.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Demonstrated track record of successfully executing projects and assignments. Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks concurrently and communicate changes as they arise.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. Must be able to effectively represent and defend Momentive’s interests in industry groups and with regulators.
- Ability to work, lead, and manage through influence in a global organization with highly matrixed structure and cross-functional teams.
- Creative problem solver, fast learner, enthusiastic working attitude, self-motivated, and customer focused.
- Computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams, etc.).
- Travel 10-20% including international trips as needed. Position will require availability for early morning or evening conference calls with other regions.
- Silicone industry experience.
- Working knowledge of SAP and SAP EHS.
- Experience in mammalian and environmental toxicology study monitoring.
- Experience with physical chemical studies and/or difficult to test substances in aquatic toxicity testing.
- Experience with US, EU and/or China food contact regulations, including FDA and BfR.
- Experience with US and/or EU medical device regulations, including FDA, and biocompatibility/ISO 10993 testing.
- Experience with NSF International food and water testing, inspection, and certification, including audits.
- Experience in human health and/or environmental risk assessment.