Registered Nurse ( RN ) Case Manager, Hospice
Less than 5 years experience • Misc. Healthcare
Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care is the leading home health and hospice provider in the Santa Barbara area, meeting the changing healthcare needs of our community since 1908.Our mission is to provide high quality home health, hospice and related services to promote the health and well-being of all community residents including those unable to pay. As we grow and enhance our services, we are looking for top-quality individuals to help continue our legacy of excellence and our commitment to the community.We are currently offering exciting opportunities to become a part of our committed team of skilled professionals in beautiful Santa Barbara County.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Registered Nurse Case Manager plans, organizes and directs hospice services for our hospice patients. The CM provides hospice care and is skilled at assessing pain and other complex symptoms at the end of life.
The professional nurseworks with the interdisciplinary hospice team to plan and direct services to meet the needs of individuals and families in a home setting. The Case Manager fully supports the Core Values and is accountable for upholding the Standards of Behavior of VNHC.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for providing comprehensive case management and direct nursing care to hospice patients.
- Completes an initial assessment of the patient and family to determine hospice care needs. Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and previous illness(es) and provides an appropriate level of care.
- Assess and evaluates patient status by:
- Writing and initiating plan of care.
- Regularly re-evaluates patient and family needs.
- Revises the plan of care as necessary.
- Initiates the plan of care and makes necessary revisions as needed.
- The Plan of Care establishes goals, interventions, and includes the patient and family in the planning process.
- Uses health assessment data to determine nursing diagnosis.
- Provide nursing services, treatments, diagnostic and preventive procedures requiring the skills of a registered nurse according to physician orders.
- Provides healthcare instructions to the patient as appropriate per assessment and plan of care.
- Assess patient and report to the attending physician and appropriate interdisciplinary team members, response to treatments and medications as well as changes in the patient's physical or emotional condition.
- Receives physicians orders as required.
- Provides and maintains a safe environment for the patient and family.
- Attends and participates in interdisciplinary group meetings.
- Coordinate care with other interdisciplinary team members and with community resources as needed.
- Teach, supervise and counsel the patient/family regarding pain and symptom management and psycho-social aspects of care for the terminally ill.
- Assess and maintain patient safety.
- Teach the patient and family/caregiver self-care techniques, as appropriate.
- Provide medication, diet and other instructions as ordered by the physician and recognize and utilize opportunities for health counseling with patients and families/caregivers.
- Assists the patient and family/caregiver and other team members in providing continuity of cared.Supervises RNs, LVNs, Home Health Aides and Volunteers.
- Ensure that arrangements for equipment and other necessary items and services are available.
- Attends and participates in clinical education, in-service education and nursing staff meetings.
- Participates in Quality Management and Utilization Review Activities.Completes, maintains and submits accurate and relevant clinical notes regarding patient s condition and are given.
- Records pain/ symptom management changes/ outcomes as appropriate.
- Maintain necessary records and reports in a timely manner.
- Applies working knowledge of state, federal local and accreditation (CHAP) regulations for the delivery of hospice services.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current California Registered Nurse License, CPR certification.
- At least one year of recent experience working as a professional nurse in an acute care setting; background in home health and/or hospice preferred.IV and Central Line experiencedesired.
- Excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, basic math skills.
- Basic working knowledge and skill of computers (email) required.
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, have initiative, dependability and good judgment.
- Must be able to collaboratively work as part of an interdisciplinary group, as well as independently and problem solve in a crises situation.
- Must be able to cope with family, emotional stress and be tolerant of individual lifestyles without judgment.
- Must have ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with professionals and lay groups.
Best in class medical, dental, vision insurance benefits
403(b) retirement plan available
Paid time off
Fitness subsidies available
Public transportation subsidies available
* Sign-on bonus depending on experience and position offered.
Job Type: Full-time
- Home Care: 1year
- Nursing: 1year
Required license or certification:
- Registered Nurse (RN)