The Regional Workers' Compensation Claims Manager administers the company’s workers’ compensationclaims management program within a region. These responsibilities include monitoring process compliance, conducting training related to claims management and recordkeeping, quality control and oversight of the litigation process.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Monitors open claims over $25,000 for each assigned location and ensures compliance with corporate WC Claims Management program from all assigned locations
Manages the performance of all assigned locations with regard to our claims' benchmarks and takes corrective action when results warrant
Serves as a technical and process resource expert for the Claims Management role
Monitors third party administration (TPA) claim handling quality to ensure TPA compliance with Smithfield requirements
Evaluates and responds to all settlement authority up to $100,000. Involves senior management when necessary
Coordinates training for assigned locations in the areas of claims management, jurisdictional/legal, interview entry process and other areas as appropriate
Oversees litigation process for assigned locations in the following areas:
- Participates in / Assists With direction and control of Legal Counsel, as necessary
- Law Firm Relationship Manager
- Reviews Legal Invoicing, as warranted
- Attends trials/hearings/mediations as appropriate
- Manages communication protocols between Safety,HR and assignedlocations:
- Communicates all settlements of $50,000 or more to location Plant Manager, HR and regional safety manager
- Communicates significant claims issues, safety issues or injury trends to regional safety managers, as warranted
- Timely and Accurately Reports general liabilityclaims to our TPA for handling
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and minimum 5+ year’s of experience in managing workers' compensationclaims and related areas; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must understand the dynamics of workers' compensation in multiple states.
- Understanding of the litigation process related to workers’ compensationclaims.
- Must have a solid understanding of the third party administration process.
- Direct training management experience.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Knowledge and experience of MSOffice, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Enterprise and Global Risk Advantage systems.
- May travel15% to 75% of the time.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may act as a lead by providing training and guidance to Workers' Compensation Coordinators.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.