The Vice President of Lab Operations is responsible for leading Quest Diagnostics’ Laboratory Operations in the East region, serving the Northeast market. The role is responsible for laboratory volume of 100,000 reqs per day and 1,700 employees across three laboratories, with a hub lab located in Teterboro, NJ. The VP will be responsible for strategy and execution driving improved operational excellence, customer experience and employee experience while upholding the regions history of superior medical quality. The ideal candidate will have successfully demonstrated experience driving transformational change in a services business by building and motivating teams, leveraging technology and automation as well as bringing to life lean, six sigma, and problem-solving methodology. As a member of the senior leadership team, the VP will drive a strong partnership with the VP of Commercial Sales to drive profitable growth and a stellar customer experience.
The individual in this role will work closely with the Region General Manager to cross-functionally lead and influence successful business outcomes relative to lab systems standardization, laboratory footprint changes, capacity building, and automation. As such, strong program management and influencing skills are critical.
This role is also responsible for Employee Health and Safety (EHS) and Facilities Management for the Region.
1,700 employees, 14 direct reports
Annual budget: $300M
Laboratory volume: 100,000 per day
East region market: NY (NYC and Boroughs, Long Island, Upstate), NJ, Eastern PA, Maryland, District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia (excluding Southwest corner)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner and align with commercial sales teams and proactively build capacity in the lab for growth
- Manage expenses to include: management of FTEs/people, overtime, supplies, fixed costs (facility/infrastructure/equipment), operating costs, travel & expense
- Responsible for people management, workforce planning, staffing/scheduling across operations
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement and operational excellence. This includes leading cross-functional operational improvements around flow of specimens into the laboratory via logistics operations. This also includes engaging with and soliciting ideas from front-line employees toward problem-solving.
- Meet or exceed all operational targets around turn-around time, quality, productivity, employee engagement and safety
- Ensure adherence to regulatory, compliance, medical quality and safety (OSHA) guidelines
- Ensure training and technical competency standards are followed across the entire team
- Work in close partnership with the Medical Director to ensure adherence to regulatory guidelines
- Facilitate employee and leadership development; build and execute talent plans with a focus on succession and building the future state lab operations organization
- Travel within region to ensure high-touch two-way dialogue with employees
The successful candidate for Vice President, Lab Operations will have the following attributes and/or experiences:
- 15-20 years of professional experience in operations or manufacturing, with a minimum of 10 years in a leader’s capacity. Prior healthcare experience is a plus.
- BA or BS is required; an advanced degree is preferred
Business and Financial Acumen
Building Effective Teams
Promoting Strategic Alignment
Drive for Results
Ability to work within a matrixed organizational structure