Purpose of the job:
The Technical Director – Chemistry – North America - is required to undertake quality and technical duties at a regional level. This includes the duties listed below. In summary, the Director has the responsibility to help maintaining the quality standards of the labs within their area of expertise, and ensure that these labs perform at a level up to Mérieux NutriSciences requirements. This position provides technical support to Global Key Accounts, and is a member of the technical team in charge of reviewing and harmonizing new and existing methods, and ensuring effective implementation. This position also provides technical support and advice to the labs within their region, including trouble-shooting assistance. The Director reports to the Senior Technical Director – Chemistry – Corporate Quality and Operations. *This position will require travel*
- Identify, implement and monitor critical elements of the laboratory quality systems and standard operating procedures in the regional business units to ensure consistency of practices and the issuance of accurate and reliable test results. These activities include, but are not limited to, development of global policies and procedures, auditing of laboratories, monitoring proficiency data and monitoring laboratory control data.
- Evaluate and harmonize laboratory methodology, technology and equipment for existing and future services. Ensure new methodology, technology and equipment are selected, implemented and validated so that all analytical activities are in compliance with quality, safety and productivity goals which are consistent across the organization.
- Develop tools (i.e. training modules) that ensure the technical competency of personnel within the business units.
- Support the lab management in ensuring that their personnel are competent in root cause analysis of quality problems and identification of effective corrective actions.
- Provide technical support to a list of identified Global Key Accounts by : a) providing technical input to Key Account Managers during tender and quotation process, b) helping to coordinate and organize the follow-up of audits, method implementation, and other technical duties, c) participating in business review as needed.
- Provide Corporate and other personnel with the information necessary to document the status and the progress of the quality and technical systems in place at business unit level.
- Ensure that laboratory operating systems are in compliance with quality, safety and productivity goals. Standardize laboratory operating systems within assigned business units as appropriate.
- Assure the lab technology meets regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Initiate work stoppage when quality parameters indicate an analytical method is not under control
- Coordinate and implement appropriate special projects within the business units. Determine appropriate location options for conducting special projects.
- Maintain expertise in analytical techniques relative to the technical specialty. Contribute to the work of appropriate scientific organizations that relate to group business and individual areas of expertise.
- Work with appropriate corporate staff in the development and maintenance activities of LIMS as related to technical and quality systems, cost analysis development, purchasing of key / critical items and implementing cost reduction / control measures consistent with quality, safety and productivity efforts.
- Lead technical staff within their region of concern by sharing technical knowledge, best practices and other communications as appropriate.
- Support efforts to improve customer and potential customers perception of our quality and scientific leadership.
- Serve as member of the acquisition team during due diligence and integration activities in relation to the quality and technical competency.
- Interact with R&D on the implementation of new methods into Operations to ensure method verifications/validations are appropriate for the concerned matrices.
- Support continuous improvement activities related to analytical techniques, operational processes and quality system.
- Develop and present training programs to support technical knowledge within the region of responsibility.
- Oversee technical data within the region of responsibility that directly relates to the accuracy and precision of the analytical results (e.g. statistical process control charts, laboratory control samples, proficiency tests results)
- Perform management duties related to assigned quality personnel.
- Perform other related duties as needed per management requests
- This position requires an advanced technical knowledge - possibly obtained from a Ph.D. in the technical specialty or from an M.S. degree with equivalent experience, to provide technical guidance and expertise to client and laboratory personnel. A thorough knowledge of corresponding science is necessary to apply knowledge while consulting with client and to provide practical solutions to their problems. Knowledge of the laboratory quality systems, Standard Operating Procedures, testing methods, accreditation requirements and laboratory operating systems is also required to ensure that laboratory systems are providing accurate and reliable test results to the client. Strong analytical skills are needed to solve problems with laboratory systems or client issues.
- Good interpersonal skills are required to build and maintain relationships across the laboratories and corporate functions. Well-developed oral and written communication skills are essential to manage efficiently effective the interactions between clients, laboratory personnel, and corporate staff. A general knowledge of the Laboratory Information Management System is a plus to complete job responsibilities.
- Client relation skills are needed to provide consulting services to the client. Strong personnel management skills, obtained from previous supervisory experience, are necessary for direct and indirect reporting relationships.
- Planning skills are essential to plan, implement, and maintain system changes. A basic knowledge of operating personal computers is necessary to track laboratory information and produce special reports to support the management function.