About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is toenable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $18 billion, we have approximately 60,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through three premier brands, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity™ Lab Services, which offer a unique combination of innovative technologies, convenient purchasing options and a single solution for laboratory operations management. Our products and services help our customers solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
Job Title: Regional Sales Manager
Reports To: National Sales Director
Career Band: 7
Job Track: Management
Position Location: Field
Number of Direct Reports: 7-9
Day/Shift (if applicable): Day
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Position Summary: This position is responsible for managing the sales management team for a major region of the US, coordinating all sales activity and meeting and/or exceeding established sales goals.
• Lead in selecting and building a strong district sales and account management team and effectively managing the critical linkages and synergies between Laboratory Sales and Physician Sales staff to drive overall business success.
• Working with the National Sales Director, select responsive, highly motivated Physician Sales District Sales Managers and Laboratory Sales Account Managers and be thinking growth and depth behind all positions.
• Provide team leadership via frequent communication.
• Exhibit ongoing effectiveness in coaching Physician Sales staff to detail disease concept messages and Laboratory Sales staff to detail our laboratory systems, diagnostics, and business model.
• Oversee the implementation of regional and district action plans, suggesting additional resources asneeded.
• Establish and manage procedures/processes for communication of information necessary for accomplishing tactical and operational business objectives.
• Regularly monitors and recommends adjustments to territory and district boundaries, and coverage ofexisting and newly targeted markets.
• Actively participates in new Clinical Sales Consultant training sessions, at times having modules and/or taking a lead in facilitating learning exercises.
• This position has significant discretion and work is performed under general direction.
• Participates in determining objectives, applying resources, planning and arranging own activities in accomplishing objectives.
• Work is reviewed at midstream and upon completion, in continual dialogues with this position's reporting Vice President. Oversee the proper use of all corporate resources and assets to ensure that they are used and maintained.
• Know, comply, and enforce all applicable corporate and regulatory policies and procedures (including monitoring of expenses and expense reporting).
• Actively participate and support senior business leaders, being a primary source of field intelligence and implementer of national business initiatives.
• Successfully role model the 4 I’s (innovation, integrity, involvement and intensity).
• With the National Sales Director, directly link pay with sales achievement and business performance and attract and retain top sales talent.
• Similarly, within the Performance Improvement Plan process, turn/around or exit non-performance.
• Make recommendations on systems, structure, and strategy (to include issues relating tocompensation, personnel, resource needs, on-going development and training, and market intelligence, etc.).
• The position is expected to meet at least bi-monthly with District Sales Managers and Account Managers.
• Travel is frequent at more than 75% of the total time.
Key Responsibilities: Paramount: Achieving prescribed budgets, sales growth and expense management; developing and managing the regional organization so that all sales representatives and account managers are continuously learning and developing professionally and growing the business. Effectively manage the critical linkages and synergies between Laboratory Sales and Physician Sales staff to drive overall business success. Build and maintain bridges with senior management and homeoffice staff. Successfully role model the 4 I’s
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s level degree preferred
• Documented career progression within industry including management development.
• Demonstrated communications and human relations skills.
• Thorough medical and technical knowledge is required along with demonstrated selling skills, leadership skills, training/coaching/development abilities and business acumen.
• Must have demonstrated the following core competencies: leadership, networking/interpersonal, initiative, decision-making, judgment, planning, organization, adaptability, creativity, innovation, business information systems knowledge, computer literacy, analytical ability, product disease and laboratory diagnostics knowledge.
• Ability to travel 75%
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years multi-discipline sales management experience
- Diagnostic Sales and Leadership Experience