This position will support strategically important data integration initiatives designed to optimize performance improvement efforts which impact actuarial business, data and data controls and architecture. Data management is a visible top priority for the company' senior leaders, making it an essential function within our enterprise Data Governance program and a key factor for business success. The ideal candidate for the Actuarial Data Management role is both highly collaborative and accountable with focus on the processes needed to ensure actuarial data requirements are appropriately defined, tested and established for ongoing processes/infrastructure which are users of that data. This position will be a key resource in initiatives supporting changes to our administrative and valuation system projects.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage strategic initiatives to establish, promote and enforce standard and controlled processes and procedures for data governance for each of the actuarial business units.
- Collaborate with a broad range of stakeholders to understand complex business questions and deliver solutions to business owners that are consistent with the company's data strategy and infrastructure.
- Drive efforts to integrate sources of data across multiple subject areas. As part of enterprise-level and Actuarial-specific projects, assist with defining and writing requirements, data mapping, user acceptance testing, and business intelligence tool reporting across multiple insurance subject areas.
- Build relationships with various Data Stewards, Data and System Architects and others in technical and business areas to ensure collaboration between projects and team members.
- Assist with data definition, data certification, system testing and documentation efforts across various lines of business
- Implement data quality practices that will improve data management practices and act as a liaison with internal and external auditors on actuarial data changes and ongoing maintenance of data controls
- Build solid understanding of technical components of initiatives involving data in-flows and out-flows, inclusive of ensuring data is usable for valuation and administrative model conversions and other business projects
- Build expert understanding of the Data Dictionary and Data Quality Business Requirements Artifacts; understand how information is gathered, used, stored, interpreted, and how it is integrated into the metadata repository
- Support the Actuarial organization as it transitions to data stored within a Cloud environment. This includes transitioning to the utilization of R for reporting and analytics purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Actuarial Science, or Statistics
- 5+ years of experience in the financial services industry, preferably in insurance actuarial valuation and modeling
- 5+ years of experience in analytic capabilities, to include data management (cleaning, merging, and reshaping), with on-premise and Cloud data structures
- Demonstrated knowledge with programming languages such as R, Python, SQL, etc.
- Experience with insurance data models/foundations (i.e. IBM, Oracle, ACORD), with ACORD preferred
- Strong ability to interpret and document requirements, create and maintain clear documentation, identify impacts of changes, analyze problems, and communicate
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to identify, evaluate, implement, and communicate enterprise practices and standards for data management across systems
- Ability to educate and mentor others in the organization in such areas as data acquisition, data management, and data utilization
- Demonstrated knowledge data analytics in an insurance or financial services industry, including business intelligence tools (i.e. Cognos, SAP BusinessObjects, QlikView, Tableau), data structures, statistics, data governance and quality control