Persuade. Pivot. Persevere. As a fearless spirit who loves to venture into uncharted territories, these are the words that have defined your sales career, encouraging you at every turn to pioneer and refine a range of sales techniques that inevitably help you get to yes.
Passionate, personable, and politely persistent, you know that the perfect pitch begins with listening - really understanding the need - and then making adjustments to your materials as necessary, so that the pitch becomes a conversation, the conversation becomes a relationship, and the relationship becomes a win-win situation for everyone involved.
That’s the kind of creative and persuasive Regional Sales Manager – Natural (West) we’re looking for at Vital Farms. Because you see, at Vital Farms, we’re on a mission to change the food industry one ethically-sourced ingredient at a time. While we’re known for our pasture raised eggs - giving our hens 108 square feet to roam and calling bullsh*t on terms like cage free and free range - the truth is we’ve got big plans to do so much more. That’s because we give a cluck when it comes to the health of our animals, the health of our customers, and the health of our planet.
If that sounds like something you care about, too, let’s talk about how you can help us grow and make the world a better place at the same time.
Reporting to the Director of Sales, the Regional Sales Manager – Natural (West) will work independently and collaboratively with a cross functional team (marketing, shopper marketing, supply chain, and finance) to help Vital Farms win unique accounts in highly competitive markets in the West Region.
Adaptable, resourceful, and comfortable making decisions in the face of ambiguity, you’ll bring a data driven approach to building customer specific business plans and strategies that strengthen relationships both internally and externally.
In addition to your keen ability to identify the next best opportunity and how to go after it, here are some other responsibilities you can expect on a daily basis:
- Build and maintain rapport with key distributors and customers; identify new customer opportunities
- Build a strategic and collaborative annual trade promotion calendar for each customer
- Track weekly consumption, distribution, pricing, and sales to continuously achieve forecast accuracy
- Create meaningful presentations for category reviews using category, brand, and item insights to capitalize on opportunities
- Develop, manage, and support a broker partner network, including setting standards, ensure execution, and conduct regular business reviews
- Develop accurate and timely forecasts for expected demand, trade plan, and promotional trade spend
- Manage category reviews across dairy and other categories to maximize and advance Vital Farms innovation and existing items in retail accounts
- Perform retail level store checks in all markets as needed to ensure execution of initiatives and uncover opportunities
- Attend trade shows to represent the brand and develop sales opportunities
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships at key customers at the category manager level and engage in appropriate top to top interactions
What you Bring to the Table:
- First, you bring a big ol’ helping of passion for ethically-sourced, nutritious food and purpose-driven brands. And you bring extra napkins.
- At least five years of grocery sales and account management experience in the food industry (dairy/refrigerated experience required) with a proven sales track record in a new product/new market environment
- Established relationships and demonstrated success working with key retailer accounts throughout the West; preference given to candidates with experience working with the following accounts: Sprouts, Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage, New Seasons, Bristol Farms/Lazy Acres, PCC, and Town & Country
- Broker management experience, leading grocery broker and distributor relationships (UNFI/KeHE experience required)
- Working knowledge and keen understanding of Spins, IRI, Nielsen and other syndicated data platforms
- Excellent skills in the following areas: listening, presentation, negotiation, analysis, customer service, selling, communication, organization
- Proficient in Trade Analytics (selling price, margins, etc.)
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, and Word)
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) preferred
- Ability to travel as needed for customer table tops, appointments, etc. Anticipate 25-50%travel
- You believe “we” is greater than “me”. You know the power of teamwork and celebrate the work of others before your own.
- You give a sh*t. About the animals. About relationships. About keeping things real. You believe in acting like an owner and making Vital Farms a place to be proud of.
- You hold yourself to the highest standards and you strive to improve yourself and others each and every day, even Saturdays, when you make motivational screen printed t-shirts with key phrases from Daniel Pink’s latest book.
- You can walk in someone else’s boots – You seek to understand other’s viewpoints and think that you get to better answers by sitting on the same side of the table.
- Honest conversations don’t ruffle your feathers and you don’t walk on eggshells. If you see something in the organization that can be improved, you’re not afraid to speak up and you expect your colleagues to do the same.
- Familiarity with California, Southwest, and Pacific Northwest is ideal.
What We Bring to the Table:
- A fast-paced, energetic environment with passionate people who are leading a movement to bring ethically produced food to the table
- Competitive pay and benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Parental Leave, and weekly lunches, just to name a few)
- Company-wide bonus program; when we succeed together, we celebrate together
- Generous retirement contributions: 401(k) + 3% Contribution from Day 1
- Free eggs, butter, and ghee, along with friends and family discounts
- Fun team SWAG that will make you the talk of the town
- Professional development opportunities and an amazing team dedicated to your growth
Who We Are:
Vital Farms is a Certified B Corp that sources and markets delicious, high-quality, ethically-sourced egg and dairy products nationwide. We started on a single family-farm in Austin, TX in 2007, with 20 Rhode Island hens and a drive to raise the standards in sustainable agriculture. Today Vital Farms THE leading producer of pasture raised eggs, partnering with more than 200 family farms, and selling into over 13,000 grocery stores around the country. We believe that a healthy bottom line is the result of healthy business practices, and we care deeply about supporting all our stakeholders. This includes our crew, our consumers, our retailers, and of course our happy hens and contented cows. In short, we exist to improve the lives of people, animals, and our planet through food.
Shortly after you complete your application, you'll receive a follow-up email elaborating on any potential next steps in our process. If you don't immediately receive said follow-up email, we would highly encourage you to check your spam filter!
In order to fulfill Vital Farms mission to “bring ethically produced food to the table,” we seek to build teams that leverage diverse perspectives to create a welcoming and innovative environment that is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunities.
To that end, we make employment decisions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. Vital Farms does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other status protected by law.