We are seeking a Regional Sales Manager for our Industrial market in the West Region. The Regional Sales Manager position will drive sales, insure customer satisfaction, and report to the organization customer needs. The RSM is responsible for maximizing sales of targeted products and services at a given account or accounts. The RSM will be responsible to work with his / her NSM to prioritize activities by customer potential, short term and long term, and to determine the best route to market" strategies for each applicable sales opportunity. Regional Sales Managers will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining relationships at key accounts providing direct sales and implementation support for AFL's products. This position can be located virtually in any large city within the Western region.
- Work with AFL's internal BUs (Business Units) to set, and attain, goals for each specific area; targeted accounts, product needs, etc.
- Promote and support AFL's optical technologies and products to the defined customer segment of optical module and networking equipment manufacturers, laser manufacturers, defense contractors, medical equipment manufacturers, as well as University & Government laboratories.
- Promote, demonstrate, and support AFL's fusion splicing equipment to customers in the defined territory
- Maintain a high level of knowledge regarding AFL's products and services and their applications to the potential customers. Act in a consultative role to the customer to insure that they can easily order, install, and add value to their internal programs with AFL's products and services.
- Maintain sufficient knowledge of customer's business to recognize opportunities and be perceived by the customer as a problem solver and cost displacement specialist.
- Manage all selling expenses within the established travel & expense budgets.
- Establish sources to provide information or competitive pricing, market activities, transaction usage and other information about the assigned account(s) or target markets.
- Provide direction to the customer service representatives in support of customer needs.
- Assist in training and orientation of new customer sales organizations as required.
- Meet or exceed planned sales levels for all products and services at targeted accounts and/or targeted market segments.
- Develop sales plans for the overall market and strategic account plans for the respective targeted accounts.
- Position AFL for sustained growth in the market.
- Conduct sales calls to implement account and/or target market strategies as developed in conjunction with the marketing manager in support of AFL's business objectives.
- Utilize salesforce.com as the key communication reporting mechanism.
- Participate in national and regional trade shows and/or conferences in accordance with the account or target market strategy and in coordination with the NSM, with the objective of maintaining or improving customer relationships and prospecting for new business.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in a technical field. MBA, or other master degree, is a strong plus.
- A minimum of 3 years selling experience including industry experience. Targeted background in a relevant field; Telecommunications, fiber optics, photonics, technical sales to OEM customers.
- Strong computer skills required. Basic requirements are Microsoft office suite of products
- Experience with SalesForce.com a plus.
- Strong communication skills required. Must be able to clearly articulate thoughts, strategies, and develop logical action plans.
- Must be able to travel approximately 50% of the time.
- Knowledge of the customers and distribution channels that serve the customer base required.