- Promote the company’s advantages and values to qualified job candidates.
- Identify talent.
- Provide firm and positive guidance.
- Work with a wide variety of personalities.
- Determine what motivates each individual in the region.
- Provide verbal and written strategic advice in response to priority situations, and help determine what practices will help a territory grow in revenue.
- Monitor sampling, expense reporting, reporting quotas and qualitative reporting.
- Travel to work with sales representatives in the field.
- Deploy the appropriate resources (expenses, help from specialists, etc) in strategic situations.
- Think creatively about the needs of the region as a whole.
Regional Managers also work closely with the editorial and marketing department and are asked to partner with a marketer to collaborate and provide feedback on marketing campaigns, including marketing literature. This includes:
- Preparing mid-year reports for books in specific disciplines.
- Providing feedback to sales conference 'dry runs'.
- Reviewing discipline-specific sections of the sales representative’s daily planner.
- Providing feedback to marketers’ top priorities in the region.
Regional Managers at Norton meet collectively 2 - 3 times a year to discuss management, marketing, and editorial issues. There are also collaborative projects and ongoing concerns that require a conference call, typically twice a month. Regional Managers are expected to bring forth new ideas and suggest plans for improvement of the overall sales operation.
Experience and Skills:
Required Qualifications Include:
- Eligibility to work in the U.S. for any employer.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
- At least five years of successful sales experience in college textbook sales publishing.
- Sales performance across a variety of disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- A track record of helping and motivating others.
- Evidence of initiative-taking.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Intangibles such as integrity, patience, work ethic, and a positive attitude.