SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Manages the sale of Merit products in a region and assists sales representatives to understand and meet the needs of existing and potential clients. Hires and develops sales representatives and provides training and feedback to improve demonstrations and sale presentations. Monitors individual and team progress in achieving sales goals. Provides timely feedback to marketing and production from the customer to improve products or product quality.
This position is responsible for Sales Representatives in the Interventional, Oncology and Spine (IOS) territories in the West Region. Prefer candidates are located in a western US state.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS PERFORMEDEvaluates and hires sales representatives and trains them on meeting customer needs, and understanding company products and sales methods.
Works with sales representatives in their territories to:
- Develop their skills in making sales presentations by providing immediate feedback.
- Provide suggestions and direction for changes in activity to improve productivity.
- Follow-up on training previously provided.
- Answer questions about product or sales problems and policy areas that may be perceived as unclear.
- Provide information about changes in products or pricing.
- Assist sales representatives to plan and manage their own work in ways consistent with effective time management principles.
- Handles questions from sales representatives and clients about pricing, defective products, or product replacement.
- Reports on the individual progress of sales representatives in achieving their individual and corporate sales goals.
- Develops marketing strategies and assists sales representatives to understand and implement these strategies in working with existing and potential customers.
- Reviews individual and regional reports and uses these reports to monitor performance in achieving sales volume and profitability goals.
- Provides coordination and feedback to manufacturing, marketing and other departments to resolve problems about product quality or company processes.
- Prepares performance and sales reports for management and sales representatives.
- Monitors customer satisfaction with Merit products and shares information with sales staff and other departments to identify opportunities to improve products, resolve or prevent the recurrence of problems, and increase overall customer satisfaction.
- Monitors product competition and market share and uses this information in evaluating overall sales performance.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Lifting -- Not to exceed 50 lbs. -- local practice may apply.
- Color perception
- Depth perception
- Field of vision/peripheral
SUMMARY OF MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education and/or equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Business, with extensive course work in marketing.
- A minimum of six years experience as a sales manager overseeing a successful sales force, preferably in the medical device industry.
- Excellent understanding of sales techniques and customer service principles and the ability to assist others in applying these principles.
- Ability to evaluate sales presentation effectiveness, especially as it relates to building rapport and customer confidence, and to assist sales representatives to improve their presentations to communicate more effectively with customers.
- A thorough understanding of management principles and the ability to select, develop, and manage a sales team.
- Ability to understand the factors that affect long-term profitability and to work effectively with others in a team setting to optimize those factors in the sale of medical products.
- Willingness to work long hours and travel frequently to meet customer's needs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the medical manufacturing business and the ability to work with manufacturing and marketing staff to make improvements in products and methods.
- Tactfulness and skill in working with a broad variety of individuals in a manufacturing environment, and the ability to earn their trust and support in working toward mutual goals.
- Excellent record keeping and reporting skills, including the ability to communicate key highlights orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated computer skills preferably spreadsheets, word processing, database and other applicable software programs.
- Supervisory process
- Sales skill development
- Sales progress and performance reporting
- Marketing strategy development
- Problem solving
- Customer satisfaction monitoring