Regional Sales Rep Job Description
Reporting to the Area/Regional Sales Manager, the Regional Sales Representative works to strategically target potential customers, (builders, architects and developers) to generate and grow new business and to successfully convert the target audience from using traditional building products to using the Company’s products. The incumbent also positions the Company’s value proposition and whole-product solution to the customer to build and enhance strong customer relationships and to become a strong business partner. With a strong knowledge of business and market sense, the incumbent successfully manages an assigned sales territory and reports on related marketing activities by conducting competitive market analysis, competitive intelligence, and other sales-related research. Mentors and trains other sales reps on the APEX sales process.
Works collaboratively with the appropriate Area/Regional Sales Manager (ASM/RSM) to target and successfully sell to builders within the key target profile, leveraging key channel partners and preferred wholesalers, dealers, and installers, by: (90%)
• Generating and growing new business within the assigned territory relative to the existing market by:
• Developing a territory-specific sales strategy centered on the definition of the key profile customer and a related sales approach for successful selling techniques to this target audience;
• Proactively initiating action with target builders by finding creative methods to establish and maintain customer engagement;
• Securing a high number of first appointments with target builder’s decision makers;
• Minimizing the number of opportunities that move to fallback status and ensuring that the proper prospect funnel ratio is in place at all time, including new prospect list opportunities, calendar of first appointments, and percents of closed business; and
• Following-through with all selling activities to maximize close ratio;
• Establishing effective segment targeting positioning models; and
• Leveraging the Company brand and reputation, and specific sales tools and reporting activities and results, including photographs, customer testimonials, conversion templates, account data worksheets; and
• Increasing the Company’s product sales of “high value products from current sales volume;
• Ensuring conversions and sales are 100% compliant with the Company’s best practices and standards of quality;
• Leveraging relationships to generate and qualify viable leads into opportunities; and
• Assisting Sales Representative I with closing complex sales opportunities and acts as a coach and mentor.
Concentrates business-focused selling efforts on customers within the target audience profile to create and retain sales demand for the Company’s interior products and positions the Company’s value proposition solution to the customer by: (5%)
• Promoting features and benefits of the products to a target audience, including general contractors, builders, architects, framing contractors, plumbing and/or tile installers through in-person presentations, product knowledge sessions, and/or one-on-one meetings;
• Identifying core sales strategies that drive product brand awareness within the assigned market
• Conducting market research via job site reviews to determine product utilization;
• Communicating expertise on the Company’s product installation best practices through job-site trials; and
• Calculating On the Floor Costs (OTFC).
• Ensuring that distributors are properly established with a line of credit and sufficient inventory levels;
• Establishing and meeting distributor goals by analyzing sales data;
• Conducting a comprehensive profit analysis of the distributor pricing structure;
• Performing training seminars with Customer Service and Distributor Sales Representatives on an as-needed basis;
• Establishing a strong line of communication with owners and other key-decision makers.
Sells the Company’s product to contractors and store purchasing agents via in-store channels (Lowe’s and Home Depot), on the job site, and at appropriate events by: (5%)
• Establishing and utilizing contractor desk relationships to gain sales referrals and/or /leads;
• Identifying qualified contractors that have the potential to be converted from using current siding or backerboard products to using and promoting the Company’s products;
• Successfully developing and maintaining relationships with newly converted contractors to ensure product sales;
• Identifying market-specific needs including competitive analysis, primarily determining where opportunity lies within their region and how to capitalize on it;
• Working closely with District and/or Store Managers on high-level projects such as district-wide buys, training and/or initiative implementation in the stores resulting in increased volume/market share and brand recognition; and
• Providing product overviews and usage demonstrations to store associates and their customers and contractors on all Company products;
• Ensuring that proper inventory levels are consistently maintained, including point of purchase materials and proper product levels;
• Negotiating with store partners for the best product placement
The Regional Business Development Representative focuses sales efforts in his/her geographical territory in coordination with and leadership from his/his appropriate ASM/RSM. It is his/her responsibility to individualize a plan for each territory and to decide on the proper focus areas for how best to attain sales goals. The impact to the organization is significant as it will increase primary demand business relative to the new housing market (new housing starts) within a market development effort in his/her defined geographic territory focusing on all aspects in the territory. The incumbent will need to develop a target list of potential builders as well as to develop a supply chain and installer base that supports the success of new builder conversions to the Company. He/she will also be responsible for driving business through the interiors channel and Big Box stores with the defined territory.
Scope of Position:
The Regional Sales Representative is expected to make a set number of quality conversion calls per week (builders, developers, and architects) by effectively utilizing the conversion templates and the APEX sales model. The incumbent will be calling on builders, developers, installers, dealers and big box customers.
The impact of this role to the organization can be measured by the increase in sales of ColorPlus and XLD and an overall increase goal in total conversions as determined by the ASM/RSM as well as growing market share with dealers and big box stores in the assigned territory. This sales advantage to the customer can be realized by the salesperson’s ability to demonstrate OTW /OTF conversion cost reductions and other sales techniques.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Overnight Travel is Required
Superior interpersonal and written/oral communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with others to effectively coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
Proven success in developing new business and generating sales leads by managing a territory and selling activities.
Demonstrated ability in problem solving, crafting a win-win solution (collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in a timely basis) and negotiation with special emphasis on closing the sale.
Ability to communicate and work with cross-functional teams and all levels in the organization.
Results-oriented to ensure delivery of appropriate products and services in an accurate, complete, and timely fashion.
Demonstrated intermediate skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and proprietary software).
Excellent presentation skills before both small and large groups.
A demonstrable capacity to keep abreast of new industry trends and best sales practices and how they would interact with Company products.
Willingness and ability to work from home office environment and structure a productive day with little to no supervision.
Strong self-directed organizational skills to organize time effectively on daily and weekly basis.
Demonstrated ability to execute on a plan and drive results.
Ability to maintain and upgrade individual skills set, per market, through continuous learning and market awareness.
Valid driver’s license.
Ability to travel overnight.
Bachelor’s degree in Sales, Marketing, or a related field (advanced degree preferred).
7 or more years of successful outside sales experience selling value-added, whole solution products to customers within the consumer durables, manufacturing, telecommunications, or other transferable industry.
Experience with market development concepts [adoption lifecycle, market development checklist, and STP (segmenting / targeting / positioning) based on sustaining products and innovations.
Sales management and market development experience (preferred).
Regional Sales Rep Job Description