Regional QA Manager
- Fresno, CA
- Full Time
Olam International is a leading agri-business operating across the value chain in 70 countries, supplying various products across 16 platforms to over 23,000 customers worldwide. From a direct sourcing and processing presence in most major producing countries, Olam has built a global leadership position in rice, sugar, cocoa, edible nuts, spices & vegetable ingredients (SVI). In 2016 Fortune recognized Olam at #23 in its ‘Change the World’ list.
Olam SVI is the food ingredients division of Olam with the broadest synergistic product portfolio in the industry, operating in three complementary platforms (dehydrated vegetables, tomatoes, and spices) and over 15 product categories. Olam SVI sources and/or operates in 11 countries, manufactures in six countries, and sells to more than 65 countries.
We’re making food better. Come join us.
Regional QA Manager
The Regional QA Manager will be part of the operations team at Olam SVI based in our Fresno, CA corporate headquarters. The position will be responsible and accountable for operational Quality Assurance programs & execution of the same, provide the day to day support to the operations teams for measurement & management of product quality and ensuring food safety across the product portfolio manufactured at all Olam SVI plants. The role requires experience in operational Quality Assurance management in the food processing industry. Expertise required in quality systems such as BRC/SQF, HACCP, and technical expertise in the area of physical, Chemical & Microbiological analysis. The Regional QA Manager will lead a team of supervisors and technicians to operate the laboratories through the year and provide data and troubleshooting support to the operations teams. The Regional QA Manager will also ensure all food safety programs & procedures meet the regulatory & customer compliances.
- Ensure full compliance of all products from all Olam SVI plants with government food safety regulations, and maintain highest level of food safety.
- Ensure that facilities are in compliance with all GMP, HACCP, and GFSI (BRC) guidelines.
- Interact effectively with FDA and other regulatory personnel, food safety auditors, and customers to maintain positive & responsive relationships and assure rapid corrective actions through dynamic leadership and timely documentation.
- Develop, schedule, and direct GMP, Food Safety, and Quality Management System audits and monitor corrective actions to deficient findings for completion and effectiveness, providing gap closure assistance to the manufacturing facilities.
- Responsible and accountable for disposition of product based on Quality Inspection results and data management of the same on SAP system.
- Lead Olam SVI’s HACCP and Food Safety team for product designs, manufacturing processes, Food Safety plans, environmental monitoring and pest control programs, finished product microbiological testing programs, allergen program, and sanitation programs.
- Validate and assure compliance with established food safety and quality objectives through daily monitoring programs, team supervision, and on-going verification of internal and external laboratory or industry benchmarking.
- Understanding of thermal processing schedules, thermal processing lethality calculations to enable validation with in-house & external process authority toensure that all products meet or exceed the microbiological product safety norms.
- Establish new and improved quality/safety programs, policies and procedures toensure that established standards of quality are consistently achieved, measured, documented and maintained. Provide food safety risk assessment information, new technology information, and risk management strategies.
- Engage with large multinational corporations who are Olam’s key customers to understand and apply quality systems & programs in compliance to customer requirements.
- Conduct training programs for the Quality teams with emphasis on continuous improvement through identification and analysis of customer complaints and requirements.
- Support the QA and Food Safety teams at Olam SVI’s plants in undertaking Root Cause & Corrective actions from customer complaints and implementing the correct actions with the plant operations team.
- Host and successfully complete QA audits from customers and BRC audit team during the busy processing season.
- Undertake Supplier Quality Audits and ensure ingredients and packaging material suppliers are compliant as per the requirement of the BRC system and Olam QA systems.
- Responsible for maintaining the Organic, Kosher, Halal certifications for products manufactured by Olam SVI plants is as per the requirement of the customers.
- Provide data, resources & participate in continuous improvement initiatives as applicable.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Bachelors’ Degree or higher in Food Science/Microbiology or related discipline
- Minimum 10 years’ leadership experience in multiple types of food processing
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in Food Chemistry & Microbiology and Food Safety, preferably in the vegetable processing industry
- Ability to understand plant operations – raw material handling, Hot & Cold Breaks, Evaporation, thermal processing & aseptic packaging, canning, and value-added retail product manufacturing & packaging
- Ability to lead and develop a team of supervisors in both technical capability and effective communication
- Strong interpersonal communications skills with a demonstrated ability toeffectively work with all managerial levels, customers, regulatory, and industry organizations
- Strong analytical problem solving skills and ability to understand the key requirements in the Quality Systems and develop Continuous Improvement programs
- Strong communication skills and ability to build and conduct training programs for operations teams
- Team building/team leadership skills
- Knowledge of GFSI & BRC auditing schemes and requirements
- HACCP certified preferred
- Formal audit training or equivalent certification or experience
- Working knowledge of SAP enterprise platform preferred