The Regional Property Manager is responsible for managing operations and maximizing financial value of an apartment community on a temporary basis. An associate in this position will be assigned by the SVP to manage different properties in a region or regions, typically for a short to medium term assignment, though long term assignments are possible. These assignments may be to work in the absence of the regularly assigned manager or to work at a troubled property. The duties of this position are the same as a regular Property Manager and include achieving the financial and operational goals of MAA and of the region. The Regional Property Manager leads on-site staff to ensure a sufficient flow of revenue by leasing a high percentage of apartment units at the optimum rates while maintaining each apartment unit and the property grounds at a functional and high aesthetic level and controlling expenses.
Due to the nature of this position, the Manager must be especially flexible and able to adapt to new situations quickly. The Manager also must be willing to travel to different assignments which may involve long distances with short notice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises all on-site staff, including hiring, training, supervision, and corrective measures. Determines productivity standards of each staff member and communicates these standards with the goal of maximizing property performance and individual success; evaluates performance of these standards for individual staff members and makes resulting compensation decisions.
- Provides professional and positive leadership to team members.
- Resolves resident issues or delegates them to staff members to resolve.
- Performs the tasks of subordinate associates as needed, including leasing units and making units ready for leasing.
- Meets with RVP’s and Regional Maintenance, Landscape, and Sales and Marketing Directors for advice, assistance, and direction in community improvements.
- Meets with staff individually and in group meetings to communicate information and company news, to ensure that directives and goals are mutually understood, and to receive feedback and discussion; tracks individual performance by monitoring common standards.
- Receives training as needed for job-related topics.
- Assures that associates follow MAA policies and safety rules; complies with MAA policies for reporting incidents.
- Plans, executes, and attends social and other community events for residents.
- Supports Open Arms and other initiatives that demonstrate and enhance MAA’s corporate culture.
- Establishes and monitors the property budget on a daily basis in accordance with established goals; keeps expenses in line with the budget.
- Works to achieve maximum performance based upon annual goals to increase revenue and other income.
- Ensures that all applicable deposits, rents, and other fees and ancillary revenues are collected and deposited.
- Submits bills to be paid to the Accounts Payable Department.
- Prepares reports as required.
- Purchases necessary equipment and supplies for the community.
- Determines the optimum rent based on market conditions and the level of rent concessions, if any.
- Participates, approves, and manages marketing efforts to increase occupancy.
- Uses a lease expiration board to plan for lease renewal management and to reduce the effects of large seasonal expirations.
- Review marketing efforts to determine effectiveness.
- Interacts closely with the service team to manage property maintenance programs including promptly and courteously responses to resident requests for maintenance, providing an adequate supply of market ready apartments to meet the leasing efforts, and ensuring property appearance meets or exceeds site standards
- Inspects the community regularly to determine the quality of the physical property, and to assess and identify needs.
- Inspects maintenance repairs and available units for readiness.
- May inspect recently vacated units to assess needed repairs and replacement.
- Monitors, inspects, and assesses the community landscape and other physical entities to identify and control or eliminate potential safety hazard and concerns and to ensure quality aesthetics in exterior parts of the community.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least three years of experience as a Property Manager of an apartment community OR five years’ experience as a Property Manager of an apartment community.
- Other related experience or equivalent education may be considered
- Must have training or experience in basic computer use, including common applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel as well as experience with web-based software used in apartment management. Valid driver’s license.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to adapt to different working environments and situations quickly
- Advanced organizational skills
- Ability to direct others to achieve company goals
- Ability to sell products and services to potential customers
- Knowledge of apartment management laws and regulations, federal, state, and local
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties and responsibilities
- Knowledge of expense control and financial management
- Ability to visually inspect units, grounds, and other aspects of the community to determine that standards are met
Typical professional work environment, mainly indoors; will be in all types of weather when needed to be outside on the property for various reasons.
Must possess mobility to:
- Work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings at various sites.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Occasional need to travel in an automobile or airplane and travel with luggage.
- Must be able to access all units and parts of the property to show the unit to potential residents, inspect all parts of the property, etc.
- Must comply and follow all company policies and procedures, including Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Must be able to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.
- Must be able to work at a fast pace, perform duties while under pressure and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with senior management, on-site employees, residents, visitors, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.