About the Department
The Clinical, Medical and Regulatory (CMR) department at Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) is one of the most diverse and collaborative groups within the organization. From health-care-provider interactions and developing and implementing regulatory strategies with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to providing medical education and collecting data to support efficacy and new product development, CMR is involved. The one thing that keeps us all marching to the same beat is our patient-centered focus. At Novo Nordisk, you will help patients around the world. As their needs evolve, so does our challenge to find better and more innovative ways to improve their quality of life. We’re changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The purpose of this role is to provide coverage to top cardiometabolic key opinion leaders (KOL) and influencers within the region, act as a link to Plainsboro Home Office, serve as a resource to field medical team, and support research and other strategic projects. The overall goal of this position is to raise the effectiveness and quality of scientific exchange of the entire field medical team.
Strategic determination of change of region and territory prioritization will be based on customer need and analytics which identify need for change. This may occur at any time throughout the annual performance cycle.
The Regional Medical Scientist (RMS) will report directly to the Field Director (FD). Serves as a medical expert to regional Field Medical Affairs (FMA) team, regional sales management colleagues, Medical Directors, Strategy & Operations colleagues. The RMS will foster relationships, provide medical and clinical support to priority cardiometabolic thought leaders within region and nationally. Serves as the consultant to management in long term company planning and strategy.
- Combines account management skills, business acumen, and scientific expertise to enhance value and develop collaborative relationships
- Establishes and supports the medical account strategy/plan through the identification and cultivation of key relationships and brings forth appropriate collaboration opportunities
- Acts as the Regional point of contact for Investigator Initiated Studies (IIS) and Trial Site support as needed in alignment with the direction and leadership of the Research Grants Committee (RGC) chair
- Consultant resource for regional Medical Liaisons (MLs)
- Participates on Medical Affairs Research Collaboration (MARC) teams in region
- Covers top strategic National and Regional Cardiometabolic KOL’s in area
- Ensures compliance with all internal/external Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)/rules and regulations regarding NNI products, customer interaction, relationships, etc.
- Supports and manages broader KOL base within region as Consultant resource for regional MLs
- Acts as the FMA delegate to CMR Project Houses & Extended Brand Teams (EBTs)
- Assists in capturing, coordinating, and interpreting regional feedback/insights from key external stakeholders
- Attends internal and external Global and United States (US) meetings critical to NNI needs in order to increase one’s disease state knowledge, to build relationships, and to gather scientific insights and information
- Gathers customer insight regarding NNI and competitor product to help inform medical and commercial decision making
- Home Office liaison responsibility
- Key liaison between Home Office and Field
- Provides expert medical product support to home office and field medical affairs
- Provides Promotional Review Board (PRB) support as needed/ Medical Accuracy Review (MAR) Review
- Provides support to the Field Director in developing a regional medical strategy
- Develops, conducts and reviews Sales training content
- Develops, conducts and reviews Cardiometabolic Speaker training content
- Provides internal FMA training and supports Sales training
- Provides regional team meeting support
- Supports development of field tools
- Working with the FD, assists with on-boarding new-hires – therapeutic focus
- Working with the FD, shadows and mentors MLs - therapeutic focus
50-75% overnight travel required. Home office based in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota or South Dakota. Driver must maintain a valid driver’s license. Must be in good standing by not exceeding the Novo Nordisk points threshold assigned based on review of Motor Vehicle Records.
- A MD or DO degreerequired
- A minimum of one year pharmaceutical experience working in a matrix organization as ML or Medical Director strongly preferred
- Clinical trialexperiencepreferred
- Physician boarded in specialty area (e.g., endocrinology) preferred & 5 years clinical practice (fellowship or residency may count toward experience)
- Prior experience in a teaching/training role preferred
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and communication skills
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Requisition ID: 59210BR
Job Category: Regulatory