Alkermes has a strong history of formulation technology and drug delivery. Through partnerships with major drug companies, this technology is widely used in several marketed products, particularly in the CNS market. Over the past decade we have transitioned to a fully integrated biopharmaceutical company with our own internal commercial operations. It’s a unique business model where our partnership arrangements, and a marketed product, are helping to fund our proprietary R&D pipeline.
Our pipeline is strong and expanding. It includes late-stage drug candidates for the treatments of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder– along with three promising new drug candidates recently announced in the areas of multiple sclerosis, pain and oncology. In addition we have a marketed product for treatment of opioid and alcohol dependence.
This is a field based director level role reporting to the National Director, MSDs CNS.
In this role you will be responsible for providing fair, balanced, and objective scientific information and appropriate product education, and building external relationships with key opinion leaders (KOLs), other health care professionals, and policy makers in compliance with all company policies and applicable regulations.
- Clinical and Scientific Intelligence: Maintains and updates knowledge and expertise relevant to the therapeutic areas that Alkermes is focused in. Attends therapeutically focused meetings and congresses to interact with KOLs, as well as attends symposia, plenary sessions, etc. and shares insights with home office medical affairs team. Facilitates deeper understanding of KOLs and policy makers, their unmet needs, roles, influence and their role in decision making. Proactively gathers insights and provides feedback to home office medical affairs team.
- Internal Support: Provides training to internal Alkermes functions within compliance and regulatory guidelines. Upon request of in-house medical affairs personnel, contribute to content development and scientific review of Alkermes materials for scientific accuracy.
- Regional Trends and Scientific Exchange: Maintains comprehensive knowledge of KOLs and policy makers within territory. Understands the interconnectivity of the key decision makers within and the challenges faced in providing and delivering optimal patient care across multiple therapeutic areas. Collaboratively engages KOLs and policy makers by region. Upon unsolicited request, delivers approved, fair-balanced disease state, clinical and scientific presentations to KOL audiences, state and county policy makers, and criminal justice entities.
- Doctoral level preferred in Pharmacy, Medicine, Biological Sciences, Health Services Research or Public Health, (i.e., Pharm.D., M.D., Ph.D., D.Ph.,). Demonstrated experience disseminating health outcomes research and ability to critically analyze and synthesize complex scientific data
- Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills and innovative attitude
- Willingness to travel (approximately 60%) within assigned territory and to conferences and the home office. Flexible to changing priorities, detail-oriented, and works well under pressure
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry preferred; medical affairs or clinical experience highly desired. Understanding of Medical Affairs and the role of the department in drug development and product commercialization. Product launch experience is a plus.
- CNS therapeutic area experiencedesired, specifically in schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or other areas of behavioral health