The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Our Ports and Marine Terminals group is currently made up of teams spread across North America, including Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax, Tampa and Boston. The group provides services for all phases of a project's life cycle, from planning through decommissioning to detailed design, construction and operation. Our many achievements include: container terminals, oil and gas facilities, dry bulk ports, marinas, coastal structures, wharves, jetties, naval facilities and cruise terminals.
The role of Principal, Ports & Marine Terminals is responsible for leading and implementing the strategic business plan to grow the market sector across Atlantic Canada including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Newfoundland plus the eastern Arctic. The primary area of strategic focus are major port cities but also small coastal communities. The position requires the ability to build and nurture existing Stantec client relationships as well as acquire new client relationships in this market sector. This individual will work closely with the local and regional leaders along with the sector leadership to implement a full strategic plan.
This role is responsible for Business Development and Service Delivery, and acts as the Project Executive when necessary.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for project pursuits and client relationship management
- Works collaboratively with Marketing to secure new clients and new work, including the preparation of proposals, interviews, and presentations
- Directs contract negotiations with clients and consultants, and reviews and approves fee proposals
- Leads the Project Kick-Off workshops to ensure plans are in place for revenue and quality targets
- Responsible for the overall performance of projects including service, revenue, and quality
- Responsible for the overall relationship with clients, and monitors client satisfaction (follows up and takes corrective action when needed)
- Serves as the Project Manager and the Project Engineer (when appropriate) and oversee other PMs, holding them accountable, and providing timely feedback
- Contributes to the completion of plans and specifications for the construction, renovation or improvement of marine structures and port facilities
- Ensures the coordination of engineering activities in the context of various local or out of region port projects
- Develops our expertise and methodologies internally (design, technical and quality standards, etc)
- Resolves conflict amongst the project team and is the final decision maker when needed
- Rewards project team when appropriate and mentors to create "Bench Depth"
- Works collaboratively with office and operational leadership to achieve effective staffing which supports the needs of clients and projects as well as appropriately balances the firm’s resources.
- Leads the recruitment of new Ports & Marine Terminals staff and contributes to performance reviews of existing staff.
- Recommends proposed project team and approves removal of non-performers from the project.
- Acts as an internal and external ambassador for the firm.
- Responsible for financial performance of projects including A/R collections.
- Engage with peer teams in Ports & Marine Terminals across the organization on projects where design skills are required, to support a positive learning curve for project delivery, project management and understanding Stantec’s model overall.
- Engage with Ports & Marine Terminals sector leadership across Stantec.
- Support teams in various office locations as skills and talent permit
- Identify opportunities for Industry and Community Outreach.
- Partner with the Marketing team to develop regional campaign around the Ports & Marine Terminals sector for Stantec brand recognition through presentation/speaking opportunities, papers, public relations, awards, etc.
- Contribute to and support Stantec client satisfaction/survey program.
- Monitor and advise on market trends across the region.
- Solicit and facilitate sharing of industry knowledge.
- Identify/recommend/advocate resources and strategies needed to meet business goals for the following:
- Identify training and professional development opportunities
- Resource gaps
- Strategic partnering with clients, developers, and consultants
- Strategic hires
Your Capabilities and Credential
- Strong understanding of the market in the Atlantic provinces.
- Experience with responding to Requests for Proposals, Expression of Interests, Statement of Qualifications.
- Demonstrated technical skills on major projects and in particular marine structures including wharves, piers and jetties.
- Strong business development skills, including significant experience building and maintaining productive relationships with a client base (such experience within a consulting organization in the Maritimes is considered a strong asset).
- Exceptional leadership, communication, and team-building skills.
- An entrepreneurial orientation with strong understanding of the business development challenges of a consulting-services provider.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization, coordination, and leadership skills.
- Proven success in developing new clients and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Familiarity with industry trends and industry leaders in the Maritimes.
Education and Experience
Degree in Engineering with professional engineering registration/license.
10 years of experience in port and marine terminals design working with multidiscipline teams on a wide variety of Ports & Marine Terminals projects including a variety of marine structures. Experience with the planning and/or design of container terminals will be asset.