Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is seeking an experienced customer-facing Professional Services Leader to manage our team of Engagement Managers who have responsible for our largest enterprise implementations. These engagements are generally multi-phased, 6-12+ month, cross-departmental programs that require deploying Benchling into complex enterprise IT environments, interfacing with other vendor solutions and legacy applications. This is a highly visible role, requiring you to partner with internal and external teams to deliver expected outcomes for our highest value customers.
The leader of our Engagement Management team has the ultimate responsibility for the success of our largest and most important customer implementations. You must be a hands on leader who can think strategically, and help your EM’s and the project teams navigate large scale enterprise implementations.
To be successful in this role, you must be comfortable with Life Sciences R&D processes and scientific concepts, and be able to develop deep relationships with Scientific and IT leaders at large Pharma and Biotech organizations. You must have experience with Enterprise SaaS software implementation and be able to lead and drive cross functional teams to deliver transformational solutions. You must be able to translate customer objectives into detailed services proposals and Statements of Work, and have experience managing project financials, negotiations, and building and leading a team.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Build and lead an exceptional team of Engagement Managers who own implementation programs for our largest and most strategic customers
- Direct the activities of the EM team through ongoing involvement with their implementations, ensuring project teams deliver on time, within budgets, and with high quality outcomes
- Ensure we follow best practice implementation processes, and identify opportunities to improve our enterprise rollout methodology and tools
- Develop relationships in our customer’s organizations including with executive sponsors, key business and IT stakeholders, and project leads
- Establish program governance structures that enable EMs to build internal and external alignment on project statuses, execute against project milestones, and deliver customer value
- Act as the escalation point for Enterprise customer issues, work cross-functionally to develop solutions to problems, drive internal and external alignment, and be accountable for project success
- Work with EMs and Sales to develop new business opportunities identified during project execution, create proposals, and represent Professional Services in pre-sales activities
- Create estimates for Professional Service projects from extensions with existing customers, to proposals for new deals, lead the the development of Change Orders and Statements of Work (SOWs)
- Actively manage financials including project team utilization, budget vs actual hours and project margins
- BS or M.Sc. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or similar life science field, or equivalent professional experience working with Life Sciences R&D processes and/or technology.
- Proven experience working with Life Sciences companies and be comfortable with Biotech R&D processes and scientific concepts. Must be able to confidently interface and build trust with VP and C-Level Scientific & Research IT leaders in top-20 Biotech and Pharma companies from day 1 on the job.
- 10+ years client facing implementation and/or consulting experience, with demonstrated success managing enterprise scale projects
- 5+ years experience in a PS leadership role, managing 10+ people, with proven ability to recruit, hire, and lead a high-functioning Professional Services team
- Deep expertise in program management for multi-workstream enterprise software deployments including cross-funcitonal team management, scope & budget control, program governance, executive reporting, and project financials
- Experience leading services sales activities, including proposal generation, SOW creation, selling PS, Change Orders, and client negotiations
- Independent, adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
- Excellent communication skills in verbal, written and presentation formats
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
*In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations. To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.