Description: Directs and manages the day-to-day operations of their specific area of responsibility which includes all personnel activities, technical oversight, general workflow and budget. Ensures compliance with federal state and local requirements.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and ensures competency of staff.
- Motivates and encourages professional growth.
- Controls costs by monitoring personnel utilization, material usage rates, analyzing fluctuations in types and volumes of tests, and implementing corrective action.
- Implements departmental Total Quality Management.
- Participates in the design and evolution of Regional Laboratory and Northern California Region integrated laboratory quality system.
- Ensures compliance/ regulatory and accreditation agencies' rules and regulations.
- Implements effective risk control process.
- Leads in the research of new and/or improved test methodologies or other laboratory processes.
- Researches/resolves client problems/issues.
- Oversees and coordinates startup, implementation and maintenance activities resulting from new services or transfer of services.
- Participates in department, inter-department, inter-facility and inter-regional projects which help the Regional Laboratory achieve its goal of providing quality service and client support in a cost effective manner.
- Develops transition plan and timelines for new services/tests, outreach programs or transfer of work, and monitors milestones to achieve service expectations.
- Coordinates internal resources to support new services.
- Serves as primary liaison to RILIS/ITS for ongoing and new issues.
- Develops needs analysis as appropriate.
- Coordinates the integration of secondary laboratory information systems with RILIS.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a high-volume clinical laboratory, cytology, histology, or anatomic pathology department required.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a supervisory/managerial position required.
- Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science or related field required OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Valid current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist or limited specialty license required or ASCP certification per unit as appropriate.
- Knowledge of federal, state, local, and accreditation agency regulations.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Master's degreepreferred.