To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Establishes McClatchy as employer of choice by developing an exemplary workforce through training programs to maximize productivity and drive organizational growth.
- Leads Talent Acquisition strategy for the region, and develops a variety of sources to recruit top talent, including use of websites and social media.
- Assess organizational training needs, proactively develop/identify and coordinate administration of customized training to address both regional and/or market specific challenges.
- Responsible for adherence to mandated corporate HR policies and practices.
- Provide guidance and counsel and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish positive employer-employee relationship.
- Direct a process of organizational planning that evaluates structure, job design, and talent forecasting throughout the region. Work directly with markets within the region to facilitate job restructuring and reorganization.
- Establish in-house leadership training programs for employees region-wide.
- Develop creative programs and events that support organization’s culture and position us as an employer of choice: mentoring programs, recognition programs and employee get-togethers, etc.
- Keep on top of human resources and industry trends, best practices and labor laws and apply them as appropriate.
- Administer MBO process.
- Oversee unemployment benefits administration for the region to include attending and/or prepping managers on unemployment hearings.
- Oversee the quarterly/annual audit process (internal or external audit related functions).
- Standardize policies and procedures as needed.
- Manage two to three human resources generalist/HR Business Partners.
- Work on projects as assigned by Regional VP of HR.
- Serves as back up to Regional Vice President.
- Understand the intricacies and language associated with the newspaper and digital business as well as the metrics associated for business success.
- Read the newspapers, views websites and uses mobile apps. Understand and support the success of the multitude of McClatchy products.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and/or SKILLS
- Education and Knowledge: Requires a four-yeardegree in business or human resources management. Graduate training in business management or in a human resources-related discipline coupled with a S/PHR and/or SHRM-S/CP is highly desirable. Minimum of 5 years business experiencedesired with a minimum of two of those years in a senior human resources capacity. Generalist background with broad knowledge of recruitment, recruitment systems, organizational planning, employee relations, performance management, training and development required.
- Skills: A strategist capable of implementing long-term and integrated communications plans. Seasoned, high-energy and self-motivated leader, doer and team player with demonstrated understanding of corporate business models and practices. Proven ability to lead through influence, flexibility and diplomacy. Excellent writing, presentation and oral communication skills with strong business acumen and ability to deliver messages that drive engagement. Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments in a complex, fast-paced environment. Outstanding time management and organization abilities. Ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards. Extreme discretion, as work often involves confidential and sensitive information. Knowledge of online communication and social media. Ability to interact effectively with employees, senior-level management and critical external stakeholders and community important.
- Leadership competencies:
- Vision and strategic thinking: Sets and champions a clear future direction. Addresses issues to sustain competitive edge and maintain market dominance. Anticipates needs and priorities.
- Change/Entrepreneurship: Champions innovation and encourages new ideas. Builds momentum to get things done by communicating clearly and consistently. Acts decisively. Helps others to successfully manage organizational change. Recognizes successes and informed risk-taking.
- Relationship management and collaboration: Understands others’ underlying concerns, emotions and feelings. Uses negotiating skills and adaptability to foster successful outcomes. Manages disagreements and conflicts, building consensus to resolve those that cross departments or business units.
- Bench strength: Encourages and inspires the development and long-term growth of others. Conveys high expectations, gives candid and objective feedback, offers support and advocacy.
- Works in an office environment. Requires ability to move from one location to another, sitting, standing, bending, talking, hearing, use of near, mid-range and far vision, and making visual accommodations.
- Uses computer, which may require prolonged keyboarding and using of mouse.
- Works extended hours needed to get the job done.
- Able to focus on task, has analytical ability and is able to deal with constructively with changing priorities and stress.
- Must be professional in dealing with colleagues, employees and management.
- Travel required.