This position proposes, monitors and manages systems and procedures to assure the health and safety of personnel working in facilities, in offices and at client /project sites. Promotes compliance with environmental and safety regulations and ensures the company’s Health, Safety and Environmental programs meet local, provincial and federal regulations as well as client requirements. Works closely with PNR Eastern Vice-President and Railworks VP of HSE to support approved programs and initiatives. Proven ability to develop and execute strategic plans and influence positive change.
SCOPE: This position applies in-depth health, safety, environmental knowledge to all company safety and environmental program's activities on a regional basis.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: This position has dual reporting responsibility to HSE and PNR’s Eastern Vice President. This position has direct reports to include Area HSE Managers and/or Project HSE Managers.
- PRINCIPAL SKILLS & RESPONSIBILITIES:*
• Ensures strategic HSE plans are aligned with corporate goals.
• Through management of safety personnel, executes plans and contributes to overall strategies of HSE.
• Is a team builder and a coach.
• Promotes the professional development of direct report personnel.
• Resolves problems and redeploys resources to address business needs.
• Manages and implements Company’s HSE programs; ensures that necessary programs are in place to reduce risk to employees.
• Maintains compliance with all federal, provincial and local regulations to ensure alignment with broader organizational initiatives.
• Manages and coordinates training programs and/or the audits of HSE programs.
• May serve as an advisor to first responder teams and other emergency services.
• Serves as a resource for BU management and HSE personnel.
• Reviews occupational investigations to ensure that work places are free of HSE hazards.
• Ensures that corrective and preventative actions related to incidents, observations, audits, inspections are tracked and completed in a timely manner.
• Verifies compliance with health and safety regulations and ensures necessary records are maintained and prepared according to established guidelines.
• Coordinates with other departments on health, safety, regulatory, personnel and legal matters as outlined in approved protocols.
• Oversees, with the Legal Department, the participation in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other regulatory agency inspections, providing inspectors with appropriate documents and identifying safety measures as approved by VP of HSE, PNR's EVP and the Legal Department.
• May represent the Company in third party, client or regulatory audits or inspections.
• Acts as coach and advisor to regional health and safety team regarding projects, tasks and operations.
• Sets objectives and delivers results that have a direct and measurable impact on the achievement of HSE goals.
• Ensures adequate and timely management and communication of occupational incidents.
• Ensure area and project safety professionals are highly visible in the field performing high value activities, in coordination with local/site leadership.
• Activities shall include, but are not limited to: hazard identification, pre-job planning, hazard/risk assessments and management, behavioral observations with feedback, coaching, auditing, training, daily job briefings and tool box talks.
• Contributes materially to the development of guidelines and procedures that impact achievement of results within HSE.
• Ability to develop project safety plans, review contract language and complete client pre-qualification requirements.
• Ability to develop effective corrective action plans and/or mitigation plans, monitoring and ensuring proper execution or these plans.
• Ability to develop and deliver training programs.
• Must be proficient with MS Office programs and have strong administrative capabilities.
Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health, or equivalent. Accredited HSE certification preferred (ASP, CSP, CRSP, CMIOSH). Eight (8) years of experience in a similar role. Will consider four (4) additional years of experience in lieu of bachelor’s degree. Experience with US OSHA, MSHA and Canadian OHS legislation. Railroad construction experience preferred.
• Treat all employees with respect.
• Report any deficiency or incident in a timely manner as specified in Company protocols.
• Work to resolve safety issues – find solutions, not problems.
• Promote a culture of safety and a culture of care.
• Deliver expected results on time.
• Do not hide mistakes. Share mistakes and learn from them.
• Promote personal responsibility and line accountability for safety.
• Do not advise on matters that you are not familiar or experienced in. Ask questions, ask for help.
• Ensure high visibility of safety personnel in the field to provide high value support.
• Work with and coach management regarding their roles, responsibilities and influence over the safety program and culture.
• Provide satisfactory support and services to regional staff and management. Treat them as your customers.
• Must be able to recognize and respond appropriately to urgent/emergent situations per protocols.
• Maintain professional appearance and conduct at all times.
• Follows all policies and procedures.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, staff and management.
• Attends meetings as requested.
• Perform other duties as assigned
REQUISITION NUMBER: 20180222-73001-001