ABB is seeking a Field Application Engineer for its Seattle, Washington/Idaho location. This role is responsible for the Electrification Products Division within assigned territory. Focus will be on supporting Consultant Engineers, EPC's and High level customer clients with power system design expertise, utilizing ABB products and services within fully designed systems. Support ABB products in customer specifications and one line designs, which include but are not limited to MV/LV switchgear, switchboards, panelboards, E-Max and T-Max breakers, transformer, outdoor products, and re-closer application solutions. This position (FAE) will work closely with Front End Sales management and counterparts to identify target accounts and consultants for one-line design support for overall growth in ABB products and services solutions.
- Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as lead for Consultant Engineering, EPC's and customer base, ensuring ABB products and solutions are specified and listed as preferred/acceptable manufacturer in base specifications and projects requiring high level technical support.
- Lead product expert in disruptive innovation solutions utilizing ABB products such as, but not limited to, the IS-Limiter, DS-1, Arc Limiter, MV Generator Circuit breakers and other ABB products and services. Understand product features and benefits and act as the "MV/LV expert" to assist sales teams.
- Support ABB Customer base nationally when requested by management based on technical needs of the team.
- Participate in planning efforts in conjunction with other ABB Sales and Business Development Managers in assigned territory, representing technical ideas, solutions, and recommendations as required.
- Lead solutions expert supporting US packaging team and other FAE's. Work as a team with FAE's to bring your inherent and developed diverse skills to our customer base.
- Develop papers for IEEE and other industry events to raise awareness of ABB and the FAE team in these critical groups and or technical conferences.
- Identify and develop new EP business opportunities utilizing ABB's intellectual property, resources, product leadership and experience base in traditional and non-traditional markets.
- Direct, train, and motivate sales representatives by assisting them with complex product and systems applications. Train your immediate FES teams on system and product solutions.
- Monitor project activity through Industrial Info for projects in planning stage to ensure you are working with consultants and customers on specifications designed around ABB products and capabilities.
- Develop business relationships with customer executives as required, inform them of ABB's technological developments, new products and solutions. Assist them to resolve complex problems, achieve cost savings and optimize their operations.
- Act as ABB "forward observer" by reporting ABB product gaps, product opportunities, market trends, and market opportunities to ABB's Sr. Management and ABB's Product Management.
- Participate in industry committees and standards organizations to position ABB for success. .
- Support DEM account managers and Reps with technical support as requested.
- Develop and deliver training classes to educate customers on technical industry topics and product specific solutions based on their pain points. Get certified to provide CEU credits for presentations for the FAE team.
- Prepare or participate in comprehensive proposals that best positions ABB for success given product capabilities.
- Routinely identify and resolve technical and commercial conflicts and constraints.
- Prepare project analysis (technical, commercial, risk, and financials) and present findings to ABB management team.
- Assist with ABB legal team regarding quotation terms and conditions, including Liquidated Damages and deliverables.
- Promote ABB EP Services on every project to leverage orders and revenues from spare parts, commissioning, training, preventative maintenance contracts and engineering studies. Must work well within a team environment and possess excellent communication skills.
- Candidate must be willing to travel 30 – 40% of the time.
- Basic Qualification:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) with 5+ years demonstrated experience with Power Systems design and or operation of electrical power systems at major oil and gas companies, electric utilities, large industrial facilities required or EPC firms. With a minimum of 10 years' experience
- Preferred Qualification:
- Knowledge and technical design skills for power systems relating to MV and LV switchgear, motors, and overall one line power systems products with 10 years minimum experience
- Knowledge of industry codes and standards; ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEC, NEMA, NFPA 70E, UL, Papers submitted and presented for industry groups would be a plus.