Regional Director (RD) is responsible for the profitable growth of business and plays a key leadership role in positioning Roynat Capital in the market place as a professional and knowledgeable specialized financing institution. He/she formulates short and long term strategies and objectives that support the strategic growth initiatives of Roynat.
The individual achieves this by developing and maintaining a business profile demonstrating personal commitment in diverse markets within the Region and through the cultivation of contacts and key business referral sources.
The incumbent is a structuring expert on complex share transaction financing, and must have a strong understanding of the suite of specialized high-yield term and sub-debt, mezzanine and equity products marketed by Roynat Capital. The RD must be able to effectively structure complex, highly- leveraged and higher risk transactions.
The RD provides strong leadership, guidance, sales management and overall direction to the District Offices, developing and managing profitable growth of loans at acceptable risk to achieve the desired results. He/she assists and monitors the Regional performance on most operational, administrative and financial results including: sales activities, deal management and human resources.
The incumbent must possess expert sales management skills in order to effectively mentor and coach a team of professionals, as well as strong relationship management skills.
The RD works in partnership with SVP Risk Management and Regional Risk Management Directors, maintaining quality in the credit portfolio by planning and directing all related activities of the District Offices within an assigned Region. The incumbent must possess a comprehensive understanding of credit products and related policies.
1. Ensure Regional profitability is attained by meeting business plan growth and objectives in an assigned market area by:
- Developing new business volume targets and profitability target objectives and ensuring progress is made through the District Offices towards maximizing the potential business from existing customers and new prospects within an assigned market area (approximately 75% of growth is generated through external business development activities (existing customers and new prospects), and only 25% of growth comes via internal referrals);
- Analyzing the market area and competition within each segment of the Region (i.e., different markets/provinces), in order to develop a marketing strategy to identify high potential industries or targets and opportunities;
- Representing Roynat Capital at various industry and in-house functions and affairs.
- Developing and implementing an effective sales call program and creating business development activities, updating the CIM system with status of contacts and prospect management. In addition, ensuring all District Offices are maintaining the CIM system appropriately;
- Identifying, establishing and maintaining client relationships with the region’s most significant clients (as determined by size and /or complexity), mid-size industrial and commercial prospects, and key business referral sources in the assigned market area;
- Maintaining a current and thorough knowledge of competitor practices, economic and business trends to effectively direct staff in achieving profitability objectives;
- Preparing/delivering presentations to various banking/business/community groups to maximize positive business outcome;
- Evaluating and recommending expansion opportunities or other business decisions for Roynat sites.
2. Acts as the prime resource for regional investment staff in the structuring of complex leveraged finance transactions including management buyouts (MBOs), leveraged buyouts (LBOs), recapitalizations and growth capital injections by:
- Maintaining a current and thorough knowledge of Roynat Capital’s specialized high yield debt, mezzanine and equity products;
- Utilizing his/her extensive capital structuring expertise, provide guidance, advice and training to investment staff with respect to the provision of creative financing solution proposals to existing and prospective clients for complex growth and transition financing structures.
- Keeping current on recent trends in North American leveraged finance to ensure Roynat Capital’s offerings are competitive.
- Assisting investment staff in complex negotiations with potential clients, external accountants and other corporate finance professionals.
- Assist and provide guidance to regional investment staff in the development and negotiation of complex inter-lender priority and subordination agreements.
3. In concert with the SVP Risk Management, contribute to the development and maintenance of sound credit management practices in the Region to ensure loan portfolios are at an acceptable level of risk and generate an appropriate return by:
- Adjudicating (in conjunction with the Roynat Regional Risk Management team), all preliminary requests to issue discussion papers for term and subordinated loans which exceed the regional credit limits (incumbent maintains a veto on all applications).
- Maintaining a comprehensive understanding of credit products and related policies in order effectively structure highly-leveraged, higher risk transactions that are unsecured or with higher loan to value (LTV) ratios (average IG<75).
- Reviewing all financing requests in excess of regional limits and providing a recommendation to the appropriate adjudicating body as per established limits under the Risk Management Authority levels.
- Maintains an awareness of all other credit applications submitted by District Offices and ensures a thorough investigation, analysis and application of the principles of sound credit judgment are used in the preparation and granting of loans within policy;
- Maintaining awareness of the affairs of key customers and participate as necessary in assisting the District Offices by maintaining direct relationships with major accounts or in the resolution of problem loan situations;
- With the SVP Risk Management, developing strategies to ensure there is sufficient and effective action being taken to minimize Roynat’s risk exposure of problem loans in the Region by recommending and working with District Offices to ensure corrective action is taken to address areas of concerns and/or problem loans;
4. Contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and ensure adequate controls are in place to safeguard Roynat’s assets by:
- Monitoring reports that indicate management weaknesses in credit presentations, business targets and if necessary, take appropriate action;
- When required, assisting District Managers in meetings with clients, their consultants, attorneys, receivers, etc., to resolve outstanding issues with respect to Problem Loans in order to minimize potential loan losses;
- Ensuring operating and capital expenses for all District Offices and Regional Office are rationalized, managed and approved, including individual expense reports;
- Regularly calling on offices and ensure there is effective management and standards in place;
- Ensuring all Related Party Transactions or matters of compliance conform to Guidelines of Business Conduct, policy guidelines, regulations and procedures.
5. Provide strong leadership to direct reports by:
- Ensuring District Managers/Investment staff have a defined strategy to meet new business objectives and are effectively using the Contact Management System for business development;
- Providing timely performance feedback through regular sales management discussions;
- Establishing performance objectives and measures for all staff including assigned Trainees;
- Evaluating or monitoring the performance of staff and taking corrective action when necessary to ensure the caliber of staff provides a high quality of service to clients;
- Providing coaching on and counseling on business development, selling skills and methods, credit administration and credit presentations;
- Identifying training requirements and initiate training or recommend candidates for outside courses as appropriate with due regard for the development of key Managers with demonstrated abilities and future potential;
- Taking a comprehensive approach to planning an orderly succession strategy for key Regional staff at both the District Office and Regional Office level;
- Creating an environment conducive to individual development, productivity, teamwork and achievement, ensuring open lines of communication are in place.
Education / Work Experience / Designations
Ideally the incumbent will have a university degree in business, finance, or economics, together with 10+ years of suitable related banking or business experience.
The RD must have a thorough understanding of Canada’s financial services marketplace, including the various and diverse industries in which he/she will be required to make/recommend credit decisions. He/she must also have a solid understanding of the Integrated Commercial Bank and Roynat Capital’s objectives, strategies and structures. To complement this, the individual must possess strategic and tactical planning skills and implementation/management skills.
He/she must have a sound knowledge of Roynat’s credit policies and procedures. A decisive, results-driven individual with proven business development and analytical skills along with demonstrated sound credit judgment is vital. A good understanding of security documentation, legal ramifications/remedies, Environmental and Bankruptcy legislation is also required.
The incumbent must possess extensive leveragedfinance and capital structuring expertise, including an in-depth knowledge of share purchase and sale, priority and subordination, management employment, non-competition and vendor financing agreements.
The ability to provide leadership, influence and motivate others is a very important aspect of the position. The incumbent requires the ability to continuously challenge the status quo, setting a positive example of change and encouraging others to do the same, to facilitate the transition to ‘merchant banking’ and a solution based on a customer-focused sales culture. Expert leadership skills are essential along with strong interpersonal skills to facilitate a positive and effective team environment.
The RD must have very good communication skills to negotiate effectively with a broad range of contacts and staff. He/she must have strong leadership competencies to motivate others to achieve challenging goals.
In particular, the following functional competencies are required:
1. Sales skills
- Proven business development techniques.
- Successfully organize time and territory for optimum opportunities and profitability.
- Ability to achieve sales goals by perseverance and initiatives.
- Superior strategic planning, presentation skills.
- Effective cold call techniques.
2. Sales Management skills
- Expert knowledge of sales management techniques
- Proven negotiating skills in handling complex credit situations.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills, with customers, staff and in dealing with the community generally.
- Improve employee productivity by coaching, counseling and appraising staff.
- Increase market share using leadership skills to train and manage the sales team(s).
- Strong personal computer skills to effectively use various computer software applications, including database systems, E-Mail, etc.
3. Credit skills
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of credit products and related policies, and an extensive knowledge of District Office and Regional Office procedures and operations.
- Superior skills in financial analysis and risk assessment.
- Proven credit judgment.
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, structuring and pricing credits, managing and collecting problem accounts.
- Have an awareness of differences in the tax, legal and accounting rules of the various jurisdictions in which the Regional customers operate.