At VMLY&R, we create connected brands. We resist the usual ways of seeing, doing and thinking — harnessing creativity, technology and culture — to reimagine the entire connected consumer experience. Our goal? To create work that becomes part of people’s lives, to drive value for our clients and, in the best of cases, to impact the world.
VMLY&R is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking North America Regional Director of Risks Assessment & Controls with substantial accounting and auditing experience based in New York. In this role, you will report jointly to the VMLY&R Global Director, Risk Assessment & Controls and the VMLY&R North America Regional CFO.
- This regional leadership role is critical within the VMLY&R network of operating companies to achieve the following goals:
- Partner with the various operating companies to drive continuous controls improvement to establish processes and controls under a comprehensive controls framework to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and various accounting and control policies;
- Support the culture of control compliance;
- Be actively involved with the business. This is not an audit position although this role will work closely with auditors and an audit background is required;
- Provide training and development to our operating companies.
- The candidate must be extremely knowledgeable in business controls and documentation thereof, and auditing requirements including the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) requirements, US GAAP, and Risk and Compliance best practices and emerging trends.
- The job will require approximately 35% travel, primarily within North America, although some meetings may require international travel. Travel is currently not expected due to the global COVID pandemic. Remote working skills are essential.
- Work with local finance teams to develop and document the necessary processes, based on the WPP Controls Framework. Be a source of support and guidance.
- Assess the process and controls in place by “walking through” these with the operating companies to identify gaps.
- Partnering with local finance teams set a timetable for improvement, including the necessary remediation plans and process documentation.
- Educate and train local finance teams on control requirements and the control structure that makes sense for their business.
- Support and assist local finance teams on management responses to all audit reports.
- Participate in close meetings with auditors
- Liaise and build relationships with peers across VMLY&R and WPP including WPP Internal Audit and the Risk and Controls group.
- Manage the annual self-certification process for VMLY&R North America.
- Manage and support ad hoc requests from WPP Internal Audit or Risk and Controls Group
- Collaborate across functions, particularly Finance and IT.
- Identify digital compliance solutions to gain efficiencies, such as digital signatures, better utilization of document sharing tools, and development of online tools to reduce paper usage and become more efficient.
As part of the WPP Group, VMLY&R offers one of the best overall compensation packages in the business.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting and internal/external audit experience, with 5 years in a more senior role in a fast-paced environment.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting CPA required.
- Public Accounting experience required.
- Extensive experience with GAAP, GAAS, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, SEC, PCAOB requirements, etc.
- Process narrative and risk & control matrices documentation experience.
- Capability to make actionable recommendations to senior management for process improvement solutions.
- Effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Smart and strategic with a collaborative and team first mindset.
- Strong and proven leadership.
- Can communicate diplomatically and skillfully; can settle issues calmly and win concessions without damaging relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure in an environment with constantly changing priorities.
- Proven track record of influencing change.
- Large company process reengineering and change management experience for systems implementations a plus.
- Controllership experience a plus.
- Experience with quantifying financial statement impact of deficiencies at a large company a plus.