Company Profile: GID Investment Advisers LLC, part of The General Investment & Development Companies (collectively known as GID) is a vertically integrated privately-held real estate company, which currently has ownership interests in approximately 25,000 multifamily units in over 90 properties, and approximately 5 million square feet of commercial properties. GID has more than 45years of experience developing, acquiring and managing apartment communities, suburban office properties and flex industrial business parks.
We operate nationwide from our headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts and 6 regional offices (Waltham, MA; Arlington, VA; Atlanta, GA; Denver, CO; San Francisco, CA; and Orange, CA). We have a total employment of over 600 professionals and associates.
Windsor Property Management is GID’s multifamily property management company. Throughout its long history, Windsor Property Management has earned a reputation for outstanding resident service, property maintenance and property-level financial performance. Windsor achieves this by combining strong on-site staffs with experienced regional leadership teams. Both are backed by professional maintenance, training, purchasing, revenue management, and ancillary revenue support personnel.
We are seeking a Director of Maintenance for all New York/New Jersey properties. The position will oversee 7 apartment properties totaling 1,500 units.
Maintain a high level of quality and efficiency of all aspects of the maintenance operation within the region, including personnel, budgeting, planning and scheduling, capital project management, inspections, technical assistance, monitoring work order and turnover completion, purchasing, and other tasks to achieve market objectives for the region.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following.
- Available 24/7 to respond to after-hours emergencies
- Provide after-hours guidance and technical assistance to site staff via telephone
- Act as safety ambassador and promote a strong safety culture throughout the region
- Lead and participate in monthly safety education meetings, regionally or at property level; ensure all team members successfully complete required training
- Monitor the compliance of safe work practices and use of PPE in the field – use positive reinforcement to correct behavior
- Develop site specific emergency evacuation plans
- Activate and coordinate emergency response teams in the event of natural disasters or catastrophic loss events
- Holds minimum of OSHA10 certification, or obtain within 90 days of hire
- Understand and be able to use and interpret construction drawings, including architectural and mechanical, and construction manuals
- Base knowledge of high-rise construction, including super structure and exterior envelope/curtain wall systems
- Identify building defects, and propose suitable solutions/options, and approximation of costs
- Create detailed scopes of work for CapEx projects, manage competitive bidding process, identify qualified contractors, and manage project through to successful completion
- Supervise implementation of routine and special projects by site teams
- Experience with Yardi or other core property management software - able to create reports and analyze property performance metrics related to work order completion, turnover, and preventive maintenance.
- With the site and regional teams, develop and oversee a thorough preventive maintenance (PM) program to ensure that all building systems, elements and components are maintained and serviced according to industry standards and manufacturer requirements
- Inspect properties and insure that cleaning, grounds keeping, inventory control, and general maintenance is being performed according to company policies and procedures, and that the property has consistent excellent curb appeal
- Ensure that unit turnover is completed on-budget to a high quality in an efficient timeframe
- Provide technical assistance on maintenance-related items
- Work with Acquisition and Development teams on physical due diligence, provide estimates of operating cost; conduct plan review of building at design phase and make comment on layout that will enhance operations
- Assist with various groups on asset disposition plans
- Be a really good problem solver and creative thinker
Procurement & Contracting:
- Work in conjunction with Procurement department to optimize negotiated relationships; ensure that site teams comply to the greatest extent
- Advise Procurement department of new products and services that will have beneficial impact in region, and potentially across all regions
- Negotiate outside vendor contracts for region, such as cleaning, landscaping, painting, flooring – monitor quality of services and correct work quality of vendors where needed
- Work with Maintenance Supervisors to understand inventory needs, optimum quantities and ordering frequencies and amounts; help find an inventory management system
- Expand the existing pool of contractors and third-party service providers
- Be able to concisely describe problematic physical conditions to non-technical team members
- Be able to speak on an equal technical level with contractors and design professionals when discussing existing conditions and proposed designs or solutions
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with all company associates, both in writing and conversation
- Communicate frequently with VP Engineering, Regional VP and Divisional Managers to keep them apprised of portfolio status
Supervisory & Team Building:
- Manage team of Maintenance Supervisors, who oversee a maintenance staff at each property
- Coach and mentor Maintenance Supervisors and Area Maintenance Managers, provide support on technical issues, and help them develop professionally and personally
- Encourage participation in ongoing education, and industry seminars and conferences
- Establish manpower needs across the region to ensure all properties are appropriately staffed with the right skillsets
- With the RVP and Divisional Manager, participate in hiring personnel; administer maintenance tests, make recommendations on promotions and salary adjustments, and relocation of maintenance personnel
- When required, develop a performance workout plan for supervisors and technicians, and monitor and report on adherence to plan
- The Director of Maintenance is part of broader team of peers and will be expected to present ideas during formal and informal ‘best practice’ planning sessions focused on improving operational efficiency
- Responsible for the overall maintenance direction, coordination, and evaluation of the region
- Support Vice President of Engineering with implementation of company maintenance initiatives
Sustainability & Energy Conservation:
- Identify potential opportunities to reduce energy consumption for systems serving common areas where the Owner is responsible for utility cost
- Identify practices that support reduced maintenance cost and burden through use of alternative materials, systems or supplies
- Identify ways to reduce the cost of waste hauling/management and improve recycling opportunities
- Participates in the annual budget process for each property, including costs for MRO and 7-year projection of capital needs
- Perform quarterly review of expenses related to maintenance, capital projects, and third-party contracted services; control when needed, update plans and projections accordingly
- Work with internal design groups and joint venture partners on new projects; provide zero based budgets to design and JV Partners
- Travel component is 50-75% on a monthly basis, including out-of-town overnight stays during the week; air travel is anticipated
- Travel may be required on short notice to respond to emergency situations
- Travel to properties based on specific needs/projects underway and as part of normal rotation to inspect/observe conditions and thoroughness/quality of operations
- May be called on to assist with due diligence/disposition efforts outside of designated regions
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year College or University or 7-10years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.