Overland Park, KS
Industry: Agriculture & Natural Resources•
5 - 7 years
Posted 167 days ago
Works with the corporate director of health and safety, H&S staff, and site managers at assigned locations to promote the health, safety, and well-being of company employees. Provides technical and management expertise necessary for the development and implementation of effective programs and processes to prevent occupational injuries and illnesses and to prevent harm to equipment, property, the environment, and the public. Works to promote and maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations. This is accomplished through the application of the company's health and safety management system (HSMS) and the use of the fundamental principles of industrial hygiene and safety. Plays a key role in the development and delivery of health and safety training programs. Exposed to confidential information requiring appropriate discretion. Works from company policies and objectives established through the corporate goal process, written H&S policies/procedures, and collaboration with the corporate director of health and safety. Confers frequently with supervisor to maintain open communication and seeks clarification or interpretations of organizational policy when questions arise. Travel is expected to be approximately 50% and may be seasonal. Most travel will involve at least one overnight stay but for locations that are farther away, travel may be longer, particularly when auditing is taking place or when attending conferences.
• Assists site H&S managers at assigned locations in developing health and safety procedures, programs and processes. Periodically participates in audits to confirm adherence to these procedures, programs, and processes, as well as state and federal regulations. Helps investigate incidents and prepare incident reports (S.A.F.E. Alerts), review required plant postings to the Safety SharePoint site, maintain H&S databases and online training platforms.
• Works with the corporate director of health and safety to assure development, implementation, and maintenance of the company’s health and safety management system (HSMS) and its associated programs and processes at assigned locations. Help keep plant H&S managers in alignment with company H&S objectives; provides guidance to that effect periodically.
• Helps the corporate director of health and safety coordinate and manage company safety and health activities, carried out by corporate and site staff, at assigned locations in the cement division as needed and as requested. Participates in the collection, development, and publication of monthly health and safety statistics. Makes recommendations to the corporate director of health and safety based on data analysis.
• Participates in the development, and presentation, of health and safety training required to maintain compliance and meet H&S objectives, including annual refresher training, periodic meetings with H&S managers, and the annual H&S conference. Makes presentations to the general public and professional groups regarding safety and health matters as needed or requested.
• Participates in Ash Grove responses to contested citations or other regulatory inspection deficiencies. Assists in developing corrective action plans for such deficiencies. May assist internal and external attorneys in defending against enforcement actions.
• Manages online access to Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) for Ash Grove products and hazardous substances used in Ash Grove manufacturing plants. Coordinates with internal and external sources to produce GHS-compliant SDSs and labels for company products as needed.
• Helps manage contractors through the review and override process in Browz.
• Arranges/coordinates periodic fire, first-aid, security training for Home Office staff.
• Assists with / coordinates periodic safety committee meetings for the Technical Center.
• Act as subject matter expert for industrial hygiene sampling, PPE selection/use, and innovative training approaches.
• Makes referrals for vendors to provide hearing conservation testing and other forms of medical surveillance; may help coordinate some on-site activities.
• Provides reviews and comments on federal regulations affecting company/plant H&S operations.
• May participate from time-to-time in trade association OHS Committee activities.
• Maintains active memberships in appropriate professional organizations (e.g. ASSP; AIHA). Receives and maintains the appropriate certifications to indicate continuing professional proficiency. Attends at least one relevant seminar or training session annually.
• Provides advice and counsel to the corporate director of health and safety and performs other duties as assigned.
- Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills (Required)
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills (Required)
- Develops and delivers effective presentations (Required)
- Excellent organizational skills (Required)
- Demonstrated problem solving skills (Required)
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills (Required)
- Demonstrated analytical skills (Required)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information (Required)
- Maintains composure under pressure (Required)
- Ability to influence internal and/or external constituents (Preferred)
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills (Preferred)
- Possesses a high degree of initiative (Preferred)
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty (Preferred)
- Effective leadership skills (Preferred)
- Effective conflict management skills (Preferred)
Additional Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of the principles of behavior-based safety, ergonomics, health and safety management systems, industrial hygiene, injury and illness prevention, training, hazard recognition, radiation safety, risk assessment / risk management, and human and organizational performance. (Required)
Extensive working knowledge of all applicable MSHA and OSHA regulations as well as other applicable state and federal regulations regarding health and safety activities. (Required)
- 7 or more years of experience in Mining / heavy manufacturing in a steadily progressing H&S position (Required)
Licenses and Certifications
- Other CIH, CSP, PE, or CMSP (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree in Industrial hygiene or safety management. Or science, engineering or closely related field. (Required)
- Master's Degree in Industrial hygiene or OHS management. (Preferred).