An exciting opportunity exists to join the ProAssurance family of companies!
We are a specialty writer of professional liability, products liability and workers' compensation insurance. With over 1,000 employees operating in 40 states, our company is well positioned to offer career opportunities to individuals interested in professional growth.
The primary responsibility of the Claim Supervisor is to provide leadership that supports the Company's ecovery® Return to Wellness business model and leads to better outcomes for our injured workers and insureds. The Claim Supervisor performs all of the necessary duties to profitably and effectively manage their Claim Unit, which includes ensuring meaningful professional development plans for their employees and ensuring that their employees effectively execute their day to day responsibilities in accordance with the Company's claim business model and protocols. This position is also responsible for leadership that results in their unit meeting all financial and operational goals to support the Company's business plan and objectives.
- Executes leadership functions for the claim unit; provides guidance and direction to the unit on the Company's ecovery® Return to Wellness philosophy, jurisdictional legal requirements, claim procedures, and Company policy and standards. Assists with developing and executing strategic and operational objectives for the Region and the Claim Department.
- Actively supervises the day-to-day operations of the claims unit. Maintains appropriate claims on diary and reviews files in order to provide meaningful direction on claim management and resolution strategies that lead to better outcomes. Reviews settlement worksheets on a timely basis and provides settlement authority in accordance with the Company's settlement philosophy and within established authority levels; makes recommendations and escalates settlement requests above authority to Claim Manager. Reviews reserve worksheets on a timely basis and approves or makes adjustments as necessary; coaches employees on exposure recognition and appropriate reserving practices. Escalates reserve recommendations above authority to Regional Claim Manager .
- Provides guidance, support and growth opportunities to staff. Ensures that each employee has a meaningful professional development plan that supports the employee's career goals. Manages the achievement of performance objectives for all direct reports; provides frequent feedback and meets with direct reports on a regular basis for meaningful coaching discussions on all aspects of the employee's performance and development. Conducts meaningful annual performance reviews on a timely basis and makes salary adjustment recommendations in accordance with the Company's salary administration plan. Effectively manages the progressive discipline process, including potential termination of an employee, in collaboration with Human Resources and appropriate members of the management team. Participates in interviewing and hiring of new staff and facilitates or conducts effective onboarding and orientation for new employees; coordinates formal training programs; assigns staff to special projects and oversees workflow and workload of staff.
- Bachelor degree in Business, Insurance or related field required; 5 years of progressive experience in claims or claims management; workers compensation experience required; prefer CPCU or other advanced certification. Eight years of progressive claims experience can replace the Bachelor's degree requirement.
- Ability to attend insurance and industry/business functions to promote and present a positive image of the Company; ability to participate in presentations to potential clients/agents; ability to travel as necessitated by business needs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer applications; ability to learn new computer software applications.
- Advanced analytical ability; ability to analyze and interpret information to make well-informed decisions regarding claim handling strategies.
- Attention to detail in processing information, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills including formulating logical and objective conclusions; the ability to think strategically.
- Ability to assess the urgency and importance of a situation and take appropriate action.
- Leadership ability with sound technical skills, analytical and problem solving ability, high ethical standards, good judgment and ability to effectively supervise staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with various constituencies and at all levels, internally and externally.