The Regional Business Manager is a field-based sales management professional with primaryresponsibilities to provide inspirational leadership and strategic direction to a team of 8-12NeuroscienceArea Managers to achieve performance objectives.
BUSINESS ACUMEN – This role will be accountable to develop and fully execute on the business plan and objectives for the assigned region including implementing and executing on marketing plan strategies within the region, maximizing budgets and resources, and managing metrics (e.g. call frequency and reach, sales to target).
PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND RESULTS DELIVERY- Responsible for the delivery of results through the development and management of the regional team. This is accomplished by conducting field day requirements and through effective coaching, mentoring and utilization of resources aligned with organizational vision. By developing people, this role will drive business by observing Area Managers interactions with key customers, providing them with individual coaching and feedback to develop them for success in current role and for future growth.
LEADERSHIP AND COACHING - As a role model the Regional Business Manager will inspire commitment, trust, collaboration and motivation for the shared vision by facilitating team communication, morale and effectiveness within their own team and/or cross functional teams. Managing multiple priorities and resources related to individual and group efforts. Additionally, will be asked to demonstrate strong business ethics, remain compliant and ensure each team member does the same
Business Skills and Acumen
- Daily activities include, but not limited to, managing budgets and leveraging resources within assigned region to optimize revenue and achieve overall business plan objectives, analyze sales and operations data and metrics to improve effectiveness.
- Work in partnership with the Avanir Marketing Team to establish field sales implementation strategies and tactics that ensure proper product positioning.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all members of the Avanir team including members of Managed Markets, Training, Sales Operations, Medical Affairs, and corporate staff.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of payer mix, reimbursement environment, and distribution in assigned region.
Performance Management and Results Delivery
- Responsible for the delivery of results through the development and management of the NeuroscienceArea Managers.
- Ensure NeuroscienceArea Managers have direct accountability for their given geography and clearly understand performance expectations.
- Provide consistent, timely and accurate performance feedback based on your observations of key customer interactions. as part of an overall performance management process through timely assessment of performance using quantifiable outcomes.
- Manage T&E and program budgets.
- Recruit and retain top NeuroscienceArea Managers for long-term success in given Region.
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations (Managerial Courage) to improve performance where necessary.
Leadership and Coaching
- Effectively provide inspirational leadership, strategic direction and manage 8-12 NeuroscienceArea Managers within an assigned region with accountability for recruiting, training, and skill development toward the expansion of business opportunities and achievement of sales and market share goals.
- Fully invest in the professional development of all NeuroscienceArea Managers within assigned region by partnering with Human Resources to ensure the continued development of promotable candidates and succession planning.
- Coach, motivate and develop NeuroscienceArea Managers to realize maximum potential through observing and identifying strengths and areas of opportunity to ensure constant talent development.
- Able to influence, inspire, manage during adversity.
- Establish work standards that are aligned with Avanir's corporate culture, vision, and values. Adhere to company standards for personal honesty, integrity, trust, respect and accountability. Perform all responsibilities in accordance with Avanir policies and procedures and applicable state and federal rules and regulations.
- Strict adherence to all compliance and promotional guidelines, and ensure that team also adheres to these standards.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- 7+ years of pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical sales experience with at least 3 years in sales management
- Sales Management experience with no alliance, partnership, and/or overlap (district/region)
- Proven and documented track record of sales success and leading sales team in an environment requiring high accountability and maintaining a high level of performance
- CNS experience is preferred
- Previous experience in corporate-office or other field-based roles (e.g. Managed Care/Key Accounts, Training, Sales Operations, Marketing) a plus.
- Proven leadership and management skills. Excellent business acumen. Ability to learn complex technical / scientific information and effectively communicates to internal team and external audience of health care professionals. Takes ownership and demonstrates an entrepreneurial approach in managing an assigned region and field sales team. Proactively identifies obstacles and responds by developing and implementing action plans to achieve challenging goals. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Uses appropriate methods and a flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team (Situational Leadership) facilitates the achievement of team goals. Sets high standards of performance for self and others; assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks. Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive customer relationships
This position primarily works out of a vehicle, office environment or facility. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required.